009

☆。*。☆。
★。\|/。★

───── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ─────

───── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ─────

Do you cry out in your sleep,
All my failings exposed?
There's a taste in my mouth
As desperation takes hold.
Just that something so good,
Just can't function no more.
But love,

Love will tear us apart again.

--- 𝓛𝓸𝓿𝓮 𝓦𝓲𝓵𝓵 𝓣𝓮𝓪𝓻 𝓤𝓼 𝓐𝓹𝓪𝓻𝓽 𝓫𝔂 𝓙𝓸𝔂 𝓓𝓲𝓿𝓲𝓼𝓲𝓸𝓷
───── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ─────

Jack and Alice Harrington met in high school. They were 17 when they fell in love and 18 when they married.

Their romance was the textbook definition of a whirlwind so often described in novels. The world would cease to spin if they didn't have each other. It was fire - blinding, hot, and powerful. Warm and intoxicating as a hearth on a winter's day.

But fire can also be destructive. Unpredictable.

The intensity of their infatuation combined with their inexperienced youth was a combination doomed to fail.

A year into the marriage, Jack grew jealous and possessive over Alice, and violence was born from that jealousy. He became suspicious of every man who glanced in her direction. And he'd punish her for it as if he'd seen the affair with his own eyes.

He worked long hours at the office, and Alice began to feel suspicious too. She felt insecure and paranoid that Jack sought comfort in the arms of another. He was acting so differently, like someone else. He never used to be an angry man or raise his voice at her.

But now, these jealous rages were the only time Jack would pay attention to Alice. He was sure she was unfaithful, and he resented her and felt trapped in the marriage. So, ironically, he'd go to the office and work out all that pent-up frustration with his secretary.

In Alice's desperation, she began to purposely egg her husband on to get his attention. Despite the harm it caused her, she would flirt with the grocery store clerk or the mailman only when he was around to see it. Even though he was angry with her, it was the only time she got any attention from him anymore.

Then, she got pregnant with Steve. The couple was elated at first. They were convinced that a baby would somehow fill all the cracks in their marriage. That it would magically renew their love for one another.

It didn't.

It actually made everything worse. After the initial excitement of a child wore off, Jack returned to his old habits. Alice resented Steve, as if it was his fault. That somehow Jack's cheating was a result of some failing of Steve's.