ELEVEN

Murphy

What the hell.

Driving home in my slippers all I can think about is the way Harry looked at me before turning on his heel and walking away.

I couldn't even focus on my music.

Sorry, Hozier.

Being late tonight was like the cherry on top of the milkshake that I couldn't have. Even though Harry was annoyed, it seemed like he got over it in time for us to give a solid presentation to our clients.

Blocking out the emotions that surged through my body after my fight with David made it easy to flawlessly lead alongside Harry, something that was becoming easier with every day we were stuck together.

We still weren't close by any means and didn't talk outside of work, but at least we could stand to be in the same room.

My mind wanders to how it felt to see a plate of pasta placed in front of me. I can't remember the last time David ordered me something I actually wanted.

He didn't even make a rude comment about me changing out of my heels to drive, instead I swear I saw a dimple show on his cheek.

A cute little dimple.

Shaking my head as I pull into the parking garage and park my car, turning off the engine and leaning my head back against the headrest. My mind goes back and forth from the fight with David to the plate of pasta Harry ordered.

It takes me another ten minutes before I get out of the car and slip my heels back on, leaving my car slippers where they belong before heading up to my apartment.

Stepping into my apartment is like a breath of fresh air from the chaotic thoughts in my mind.

Stripping out of my dress and throwing it on the floor of my bedroom, I make my way into the bathroom to take a shower so that I can wash the feelings that are all over the place straight down the drain.

l resist the urge to call David while I'm getting ready for bed, knowing that he isn't someone I want to talk to right now.

Which is the opposite of how it should be.

Crawling into my bed alone and bringing the duvet up below my chin as I feel a traitorous tear slip down my cheek before I can wipe it away.

At the end of the day you should want to call the person you want to spend your life with and tell them the good parts and the bad parts of your days.

But what if the person you're supposed to call is the cause of the bad parts of your days?

What are you supposed to do then?

"Well I need that trajectory report right now."

With my elbows on my desk and my forehead resting on the tips of my fingers, I count to ten before looking up at the asshole across from me.

"I told you that I needed a couple more hours to get it all fixed since you decided to fucking mess with it." Rolling my eyes, I turn to my computer to continue working. "Maybe if you had left it alone like I fucking told you then you would have had it sooner."

Scoffing, Harry turns his back to me. "Unbelievable. You act like everything is my fault."

"If the shoe fits!" My hands curl into tight fists next to my keyboard. "Listen, if you would just fucking—"

"Aunt Murphy!"

Snapping is out of our heated arguement, the sight of a sandy blonde haired boy makes a smile break out over my face.