Chapter One

The situation was dire. Impossible.

In one night, the entire city of Liorn had fallen. Fire glowed from its stone watchtowers. Gaping holes were smashed through the fortified city walls. Smoke filled the air. Eyrecs from the city Kanaris swarmed the streets. The civilians were herded into the city square.

From the hill above the city, the commander of the Liorian army stood and watched the chaos. I stood next to him, a pace behind. Still behind us, the whole of the Liorian army took in the scene.

"How would they know we were out of the city?" Commander Vance murmured.

"No one but the Inner Council knew we would be here," I reminded him. "Maybe they just guessed?"

"Lucky guess," General Klaire scoffed from the commander's other side.

"Our army cannot defeat them without its fortified walls for defense," I worried.

"There is... one other option," Vance said, almost too quietly to hear.

"What would that be, sir?" Klaire asked, her clipped voice skeptical.

Instead of answering, the commander turned to his messenger and pulled a piece of parchment from his coat. "You know where to go," he said. The messenger, eyes wide, hurried to his horse and sped away.

*   *   *

Later that night, as the stars began to fade the Liorian army prepared itself for a battle to reclaim its land.

"The Kanarisans are strong," General Klaire noted. "They will be difficult to defeat."

"Since they have our defenses, it will nearly be impossible!" I said.

Awed whispers came from the army.

"Not necessarily," said a calm, confident voice. The three of us turned.

In front of us, a man slightly taller than average sat mounted on a powerful young bay stallion. He wore a red vest with white fur on the collar and cuffs. He had blue pants and black boots that sank into the deep grass as he dismounted his horse. The stallion itself was a light brown. Muscles rippled under the horse's coat. A dark brown mane hung over its neck. A white blaze shone in the moonlight as it shook its head, making its fine leather bridle jingle. The bridle and saddle were encrusted with rubies, sapphires, and emeralds.

This man must be wealthy, I thought, but what use is wealth when the city is destroyed?

"Greetings, King of Blades," Commander Vance said, dipping his head. "Thank you for coming."

King of Blades? I realized suddenly. Then this is the fabled War Sword!

War Sword nodded back. His gaze shifted to General Klaire and I. "Who are these?"

While Vance introduced us, I took a closer look at the horse War Sword had ridden on. If the storied I'd heard were true, the stallion was called Carol. There were almost as many stories about War Sword's mighty steed as of the King of Blades himself.

I gathered my thoughts, coming back to the present. War Sword was looking out over Liorn. His sharp eyes scanned the landscape. After a few quiet moments, he turned to Commander Vance.

"Split your army into three," he said calmly. "Send two of the units in from each side of the city, north and south. I will follow with the third unit from the east."

"When?" Vance asked roughly.

"When I decide," War Sword answered, looking amused.

"I volunteer to lead one unit of the attack," General Klaire said.

"Very well. I will take the other," the commander answered. "Captain Reathe, take the east unit with War Sword."

"Yes commander," I said.

"Alright," Vance decided. "Let's get into place."