Tom

She takes a breathe in and says,"I'm sick."

I furrow my brows and say,"I'll take you home, you'll be better tomorrow."

She gets a little frustrated and says,"Ugh...no Tom! I'm sick."

I'm still confused but then she says,"I have leukemia."

This breaks my heart. No, she can't have cancer? She's fine. She's strong. This isn't true.

I shake my head and say,"No. You're 20, your perfect."

She shakes her head with a sigh saying,"No. No, I found out two years ago and I have stopped responding to treatments."

I feel my blood boil at this. Why did she keep this from me? Why is this happening? Why her? Why now?

I run my fingers through my hair with frustration saying,"So, why didn't you tell me?"

She sighs and says,"The doctors said I should go on and live life normally as best I could. I didn't want anyone to be weird around me."

I scoff and say,"Including me?!"

She scoffs with tears in her eyes saying,"Especially you!"

I look down as so many feelings come rushing through my head, anger, sadness, and guilt. Why didn't I pay more attention to her?

She sighs with frustration saying,"You know I was getting along with everything fine, I accepted it and then you happened. And I wish things were different so that I could love you like you have for me, because you're the one for me Tom. You always were and will be."

I stay quiet as I feel tears forming my eyes but I hold them back saying,"How long do you have left?"

She looks down and quietly says,"One more month."

I shake my head in disbelief saying,"No, they're lying. Your healthy, I can see it."

She lets a few tears out saying,"My body is getting weaker by the weeks Tom."

I sigh and say,"What about chemotherapy? I've heard there are other new trials for leukemia—"

She cuts me off saying,"No, Tom. I want to die in peace and just how I am."

I let out my tears saying,"Your my best friend, Ciara. I can't lose you."

She comes up to me and cups my cheeks saying,"Then let's make the most of it."

I let out more tears as she lets more tears fall down her cheek. I hug her and kiss her temple saying,"We're gonna go through this together. I promise, I'm not leaving your side."

She lightly chuckles and says,"I hope you don't forget about this promise either."

We pull apart as I cup her cheeks making her look at me saying,"I'm gonna make this last month the best, you'll see."

I kiss her forehead but she moves my hands from her face saying,"Tom, you can't fall in love with me."

I slightly smile and move a strand of her hair from her face saying,"Too late."

She sighs and says,"No, Tom. It will only be even more hard for me, please."

I shake my head saying,"You can't just stop someone from loving. I will always love you and I want to be with you till the end."

She sighs but without thinking I connect our lips together. Our kiss is slow and loveable as I wrap my arms around her waist bringing her closer.

She doesn't pull away as she also moves her arms around my neck.

This is what I want. I want her and only her. This sickness won't pull us apart, the opposite actually, it will only pull us together even more.

I won't leave her and I will make all my promises to her come true before it's too late.