Prologue: The Tale of the Bamboo Cutter

"Tsubasa-kun..." Maki muttered to herself. "I always thought we would end up together, are we not soulmates? I can't give up until the end..."

"You're still here?" as if a dream, Tsubasa appeared in the empty classroom before Maki.

"Tsubasa-kun..." Maki blushed at being caught midway in her thoughts, unsure of how to respond.

"I was concerned about you since the festival, you shouldn't be spending your time there alone. I heard you have a boyfriend now, Maki-chan." Tsubasa smiled, he was surely glad that the other girl he previously had a crush on, had found love.

"Yes, I do..." Maki muttered a response.

"There you are Tsubasa-kun! Hey Maki!" Nagisa entered the room with a smile "I got this for you ho~ney! I bought us tickets for the play you were dying to see!"

Tsubasa and Nagisa started talking and eventually kissing, meaning it was Maki's cue to leave.

Taking a deep breath and sighing, Maki snuck out the classroom from the other entrance. Without looking where she was going, Maki bumped into a familiar scent.

"I didn't see you." Maki didn't give the effort to hide her displeasure from what had just occurred.

"I'm surprised you didn't cry this time." the boy in front of her peered into the classroom, hearing the sound of Tsubasa and Nagisa talking.

"Idiot, Yu-kun. I guess you never change." grabbing Ishigami's hand, Maki started to pull him "Come with me, I going to vent my frustrations on you!"

"Hopeful love. Painful love. Unrequited love. Are they really that beautiful?" Maki thought to herself "I don't think they are. At least, not anymore..."

Ishigami sighed as he was slammed into the wall by Maki, knowing full well how she can get whenever she sees Tsubasa kissing Nagisa. Today was no exception to that. The pair were currently behind the school where they usually did these discrete activities.

Maki closed in on Ishigami as she got closer to his face, closing her eyes. Maki's former innocence no longer displayed on her face; she was the one taking initiative.

Ishigami laid his hand on the back of Maki's head, gently pulling her in like the inevitability of gravity. Closing his own eyes, he laid his lips upon hers while they moaned softly out loud. As they separated, a string of saliva hung between the two.

"We are dating but..."

"Tsubasa-kun."

"Tsubame-senpai."

"We are each other's replacements for someone else."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"If I remember correctly, it was my first day starting off my third year. Tsubasa was giving signs that he was up to something, but he didn't seem to tell me or Nagisa. Nagisa was in my homeroom, but I was surprised when it turned out Tsubasa would be too. I was so happy. Us three friends could be together and see each other every day."

"Tsubasa-kun..." Maki muttered to herself. "I always thought we would end up together. I guess this means that it's the end..."

Maki was staring out the window of the empty school council room, a single tear fell down her cheek. Softly wiping the tear, she turned around.

"You going to show yourself or not?" Maki threatened the empty room, someone crawled out from underneath the desk. "Oh, it's Yu. Wait! What are you doing hiding under the desk?! Were you are stalking me?!"