4: Its Elementary, My Dear Spider

You reach for your right side, unhooking the demon mask.

Holding it to the early morning sunlight, it's eyes shine back at you with malice. You sigh, dropping it back to your side.

Super-powered foes wearing Chinese opera masks who's fists glow with dark energy. If you didn't know any better you'd almost think they were like you; that or you've started seeing things...

Perhaps they could also manipulate solar energy into concentrated power?

No, that was just confirmation bias kicking in. Instantly your brain kicks in to lab mode, the two sides of yourself joining to decide how to handle this. Firstly you would have to think about it empirically, pure scientific method, if you will.

You'd already completed step one: Observation.

Being knocked around by those guys and their weapons easily gave you one piece of evidence, that dark energy made them a lot more powerful, a lot more violent, and a lot more durable. And obviously, they all wore masks.

Step two: Question

Well, you would have a lot more information had you gotten your hands on that file. But as usual in a high stakes mission, the bad guy got away with the thing you wanted. But— from what Mary Jane had indulged to you, the file contained information about something named "Devils Breath".

Odd how men in demon masks we're looking for a file on something called "Devils" Breath. This presents two questions: What is "Devils Breath"? And who are these "demons"? You gaze downwards. It was obvious which question you were closer to solving. You have a demon mask in your hand right now, meanwhile the file is who knows where.

That brings you to Step Three: Research

There was one person who you knew could identify this mask, Professor Redfield, head of the history department at ESU. But it was Sunday, and besides, did you really feel like explaining how an antique Chinese opera mask came into your possession?

All the big red arrows in your mind pointed to the most obvious choice:

BOTHER THE SPIDER!

You sigh and tap his contact on your com pad, which reads 6:47AM in big block text.

It rings for a moment before a tired voice answers, "Hello?" It croaks.

"Aw, sorry to wake you."

"Mm, no voice I'd rather hear." He quips.

Doesn't matter if he's joking, it still makes your face heat up, "Ha. ha. Listen I don't know if Mary Jane Watson contacted you last night, but we had a run in with these...demon guys, and I took one of their masks as a souvenir. I need someone to identify it."

"Yeah, she did. I was waiting for your call last night, then it got so late I figured you were gonna call in the morning. I was worried, Star."

"Sorry. I just didn't wanna bother you." Your heart is thumping so hard; you squeeze your eyes shut, trying not to be embarrassed by your frustratingly uncontrollable body.

"You're not bothering me— think of it like you're giving me peace of mind. But you're right, I do know someone who can identify the mask. I'll swing by and take it off your hands."