chapter ten: Snowfall

EVERYTHING that had happened over the past hour had been a blur. A few ambulances showed up and took care of the kids that were still alive. But, Amanda watched as the not-so-lucky kids were wheeled into hearses.

Amanda was sitting next to Vance, her head on his shoulder and his arm wrapped around her. The two hadn't really said anything since they had escaped. They only sat with each other.

Soon, Linda showed up to the scene, her entire body shaking with anticipation. When she saw her daughter sitting on the back of the ambulance, a fresh wave of tears filled her eyes.

"Mandy!" she exclaimed, breaking into a sprint.

Amanda lifted her head and made eye contact with her mother. She immediately jumped off of the ambulance and started running towards the woman.

When the two reached each other, the collided with such a force that Amanda worried she may have knocked the wind out of her mother.

"I'm so sorry, Mandy," her mother cried. "I should've never gotten mad at you-,"

Amanda pulled away and cupped her mothers face. "Mom," she said firmly. "It's not your fault,"

Linda brought her hand up and caressed her daughters cheek, trying to hold in the sob that was currently trying to escape her mouth.

"I love you so much, Amanda," she mumbled, pressing a kiss to her forehead. "I'm so glad you're okay,"

Amanda and Linda returned to the ambulance where Vance was still sitting, a far away look on his face.

"Is your dad coming to get you?" Amanda asked, leaning on his shoulder.

Vance gulped slightly and glanced at Linda. He looked back to Amanda and shrugged his shoulders.

"I don't know," he muttered. "He's probably too drunk to drive over here,"

Linda reached out hesitantly and squeezed Vance's shoulder, sending him a small smile as she did so.

"Vance, is it?" she asked.

Vance glanced up at her and nodded.

"Well, Vance, you're welcome at our house anytime," Linda smiled, retracting her hand.

Vance, for the first time in a while, sent the woman a smile.

***

It had been a long week for the escapees. They had been through what felt like hundreds of hours of questioning with the police. But, after a stress filled week, Amanda finally got the chance to relax.

Her, Vance, Robin, and Finn were all sat in a booth at one of the diners in town. Finn and Robin on one side and Vance and Amanda on the other.

Vance had started hanging out with the group more than ever after their escape, mostly just to see Amanda.

"Are you going back to school tomorrow?" Amanda asked, nobody in particular.

None of them had been back to school since the events with The Grabber. There had been too many police station and hospital visits.

"Yeah," Finn nodded.

Robin and Vance both nodded along with him, surprising Amanda. She looked over at Vance with an amused smile on her face.

"You're actually going to school?" she asked.

"Shut up," Vance spat, bringing his arm around her shoulders and squeezing her.

"I should probably get home," Robin decided, checking the time on his watch. "Mom doesn't want me out after sundown,"

"Yeah, me too," Finn agreed, sliding out of the booth.