SIX.

TOP GUN, FIGHTERTOWN, SAN DIEGO

"GOOD MORNING," Warlock said the next morning as the graduates were back inside the building in the chairs that looked like commercial flight seats. "The uranium enrichment plant that is your target will be operational earlier than expected. Raw uranium will be delivered to the plant in ten days time. As a result, your mission has been moved up one week in order to avoid contaminating the target valley with uranium."

Phoenix and Bob glanced at each other. Hangman shifted in his seat. Ghost chewed on her bottom lip. Bolt picked at their nails anxiously.

"Sir, no one here has successfully flown a low-level course," Coyote said.

"Nevertheless, you've been ordered to move on," Warlock replied. "Captain," he said before letting Maverick take the podium.

"We have one week left to focus on phase two," Maverick said. "It's the most difficult stage of the mission. It's a pop up strike with a steep dive, requiring nothing less than four consecutive miracles."

"That's a lot of miracles," Joker whispered.

"Three pairs of F-18s will fly in one welded wing formation. Teamwork. Precise coordination of these aircrafts is essential to both the mission's success and your survival. As you know," Maverick turned to the simulation on the screen, "the plant rests between two mountains. On final approach, you'll invert directly into steep dive. This allows you to maintain the lowest possible altitude and the only possible attack angle. Your target is an impact point less than 3 meters wide. The first two-seat aircraft will paint the target with a laser bullseye. The first pair will breach the reactor by dropping a laser guiding bomb on an exposed ventilation hatch. This will create an opening for the second and third pairs."

Everyone listened intently, watching the simulation play out on the screen.

"That's miracle number one," Maverick said.

"The next 2 teams will deliver the kill shots and destroy the targets," Maverick continued, "Two missiles will be needed to ensure that the entirety of the plant is destroyed and nothing can be salvaged. Those are miracles number 2 and 3. If any of the 3 teams misses their targets... the mission is a failure."

Jubilee sat up a bit, feeling hot in his jacket.

"Egress is a steep High-G climb out to avoid hitting this mountain," Maverick informed.

"A steep climb at that speed, you're pullin' at least 8 Gs," Hangman said.

"Nine, minimum," Maverick corrected.

"The stress limit of F-18s airframe is 7.5," Rooster said.

"That's the accepted limit," Maverick replied, "To survive this mission, you'll pull beyond that, even if it means bending your airframe."

"You'll be pulling so hard, you'll weigh close to 2,000 pounds... your skull crushing your spine... your lungs imploding like an elephant sitting on your chest, fighting with everything you have to keep from blacking out. And this is where you'll be at your most vulnerable. This is Coffin Corner."

Just thinking about making this steep climb out the valley made Ghost's head begin to hurt. She needed water. She felt woozy.

"Assuming you avoid crashing into this mountain, you'll climb straight up into enemy radar while losing all of your airspeed. Within seconds, you'll be fired upon by enemy SAMs.  You've all faced sustained Gs before, but this... This is gonna take you and your aircraft to the breaking point."

"Sir," Phoenix said, "is this even achievable?"

"That answer to this question... will come down to the pilot in the box," Maverick answered.