Part Six

The rest of the day was a rainbow-colored haze. At some point Felicity must have left and they must have gone about the rest of their day, but Lance couldn't remember the particulars. Sam ended up eating Lance's ice cream because "It was melting!" he protested. Lance didn't care, it meant he had an excuse to visit "Sprinkles" and see her again.

Even though he didn't remember much about the day, it must have been productive, because when they did the books after closing, the boys stared in shock at the profit. At this rate, they'd be able to pay next month's rent in three days! "Shoulda moved here years ago!" Mason cried. He and Sam were still full from Felicity's ice cream, so Lance made himself some noodles, but vowed to his brothers they'd have a real celebratory meal at the end of the week if sales kept up.

The following day, Lance worked up the nerve to walk next door.

The inside of the ice cream shoppe was as boisterous as the outside. Before he knew it, he was at the front of the line. A tidy woman smiled at him. "What can I get you?"

"Oh." Lance hadn't thought this through. "Well. What do you recommend?"

The woman rattled off a list of words Lance didn't quite catch. He was trying to put together a coherent answer when he heard a familiar bubbly voice, "Mom! This is Lance Gruff! That I was telling you about?" Felicity adroitly tied on her apron while greeting customers, giving a little girl a sticker, and scooping ice cream. She heaped toppings on it and shoved it into Lance's hands. "You'll love it," she winked at him.

"Lance." Felicity's mom firmed up her smile. "Of course. Welcome to the neighborhood." Her words were kind, but disconnected from her stern tone. "May I help you?" She asked the person behind him, and Lance knew he was being dismissed.

"Oh!" he fumbled for money, but Felicity waved him off. "It's on the house!" He started to insist, but the next customers were encroaching on him and he didn't want to hold up the line.

"Thank you! I'll... I'll pay you back! Maybe coffee?"

"I'd love coffee! I'll swing by on my break!"

And just like thatLance Gruff fell in love with Felicity Sprinkle. Even the grouchy look he gotfrom her mom on the way out the door couldn't bring him back down from thecloud he was floating on.

**