79. Driving A Dog Into A Tree

The next morning Y/N ate a depressing breakfast by himself at the Hera table.

After breakfast, he and Annabeth walked down to inspect the cabins. Actually, it was Annabeth's turn for inspection. His morning chore was to sort through reports for Chiron. But since they both hated their jobs, they decided to do them together so it wouldn't be so heinous.

They started at the Hera cabin, which was basically just Y/N. He'd made his bed that morning, straightened the Amphisbaena fang on the wall, and dusted the statue of his mother at the center of the room, so he gave himself a four out of five.

Annabeth made a face. "You're being generous." She used the end of her pencil to pick up an old pair of running shorts.

He snatched them and threw them under his bed. "You think so? I don't. I feel like I'm very fair."

Annabeth rolled her eyes, but he could tell she was amused. They moved along.

They tried to skim through Chiron's stack of reports as they walked. There were messages from demigods, nature spirits, and satyrs all around the country, writing about the latest monster activity. They were pretty depressing, and their ADHD brains did not like concentrating on depressing stuff.

Little battles were raging everywhere. Camp recruitment was down to zero. Satyrs were having trouble finding new demigods and bringing them to Half-Blood Hill because so many monsters were roaming the country. Thalia, who led the Hunters of Artemis, hadn't been heard from in months, and if Artemis knew what had happened to them, she wasn't sharing information.

They visited the Aphrodite cabin, which of course got a five out of five. The beds were perfectly made. The clothes in everyone's footlockers were color coordinated. Fresh flowers bloomed on the windowsills. Y/N was of the opinion to dock a point because the whole place reeked of designer perfume, but Annabeth ignored him.

"Great job as usual, Silena," Annabeth said.

Silena nodded listlessly. The wall behind her was decorated with pictures of Beckendorf. She sat on her bunk with a box of chocolates on her lap, and Y/N remembered that her dad owned a chocolate store in the Village, which was how he'd caught the attention of Aphrodite.

"You want a bonbon?" Silena asked. "My dad sent them. He thought—he thought they might cheer me up."

"Are they any good?" Y/N asked.

She shook her head. "They taste like cardboard."

"My favorites," he said, and he tried one.

Annabeth passed. They promised to see Silena later and kept going.

As they crossed the commons area, a fight broke out between the Ares and Apollo cabins. Some Apollo campers armed with firebombs flew over the Ares cabin in a chariot pulled by two pegasi. Soon, the roof of the Ares cabin was burning, and naiads from the canoe lake rushed over to blow water on it.

Then the Ares campers called down a curse, and all the Apollo kids' arrows turned to rubber. The Apollo kids kept shooting at the Ares kids, but the arrows bounced off.

Two archers ran by, chased by an angry Ares kid who was yelling in poetry: "Curse me, eh? I'll make you pay! / I don't want to rhyme all day!"

"Again?" Y/N exclaimed. "I warn you, I won't go fetch that syrup for you!"

Annabeth pulled him by the arm and they ducked as Michael Yew's chariot dive-bombed an Ares camper. The Ares camper tried to stab him and cuss him out in rhyming couplets. He was pretty creative about rhyming those cuss words.

"I've had it up to here with their bloody chariot," Y/N muttered.

"They'll get over it," Annabeth said. "Clarisse will come to her senses."