Chapter 31 | Betrayal

* * *

Rienne's voice grew in confusion and embarrassment.

[Rienne] "What.....No, it's not like that!"

[Black] "It's not?"

[Rienne] ". . ."

But Black didn't hesitate to talk back, his lips parting easily to speak.

Their minds were on completely different things.

All Rienne wanted was to prevent Nauk from being torn apart by war, but Black truly believed she was making all of these terrible lies just to save her old love's life.

[Black] "Like I said, I don't trust you, Princess."

For some reason, those words hurt more than a thorn under one's fingernail.

[Black] "Do you still want me to keep him alive?"

[Rienne] "...........Yes."

But even if he didn't believe her, she couldn't back down.

The Kleinfelder's eldest son could not die. No matter her personal feelings on it.... Even if she thought things might be better if he did, Rienne could not allow it to happen, no matter what.

[Black] "Then I will."

[Rienne] "Ah......"

The relief instantly rushed in.

When Rienne instinctively looked up at him, Black's eyes narrowed like a blade.

[Black] "But I want something from you."

[Rienne] "What—"

Suddenly, Black grabbed Rienne's arm and pulled her towards him. She felt his lips brush up against her ear, his words seeping into her earlobe as he exhaled harshly against it.

[Black] "You'll be sharing a bed with me tonight, Princess."

[Rienne] "What.....that's...."

Then, as quickly as he grabbed her, Black let go of her arm—as if he had no intention of hearing her response.

[Black] "Bring that thing. Bind him and lock him away." (1)

[Mercenary] "......Yes, sir."

The mercenaries all glanced at each other, seemingly confused as to why they were told not to kill someone like this, but they nonetheless followed orders.

Besides, Black's expression didn't invite any questions. He looked so angry everyone felt they'd be liable to get seriously hurt if they dared to ask him.