The Meeting

"No, don't do it!", he pleased, begging for mercy. He was the most powerful man in the whole universe. He had power to change outcomes and yet he begged for mercy to the monstrous creature standing above me with his palm above my face. I was smiling at him. I knew I was as good as dead and yet I was smiling. I waved my hand at my friend to stop his act but he wouldn't listen. I laid there knowing there was nothing anyone could do. So, I escaped the present and entered into my mind's void and remembering all the moments. How I met him and all the adventures we had together...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It all started when I was having a great day, at least I thought I had. The day was gloomy yet beautiful, windy yet sunny and silent yet busy. That day I was just hired in one of the greatest medical examiner offices and hence was the happiest day of my life. After the interview, I entered a café ,probably around noon, slammed my suitcase on the table and called out to the waiter. In the café, a joyful song was going on and the café looked pleasant and relaxing in those dim lights. Ah! That smell of the coffee, so refreshing and gratifying.

The waiter came and asked, "The usual, sir?"
I replied with joy, "No Watson, I would have something special and expensive."
Watson smiled and asked," May I interest you with a Southern Spiced Tea, Mr. Wennly ?"
I replied excitedly, "Yes! That would do.", though not knowing what it was.

Watson scribbled it down and went away. As I waited, I looked out the large window and hummed with the music. Oh! That moment was most invigorating. It was then ,when I was admiring nature, that I saw a person of about six feet tall, lean, wearing brown pointy shoes ,a brown overcoat and a black fedora hat. He also wore long black strange pants and a strange black shirt with no buttons inside the overcoat as if he was in a hurry to reach somewhere. Now, I wish I hadn't seen him 'cause then the period of melancholia began.

I tried to ignore him but his queer way of moving just caught my attention again and again. He was roaming around the café and was looking inside the café with his solid green eyes. Those eyes.... they looked gentle but fierce. Meanwhile, my South Spiced Tea arrived and I paid for it in advance. But as soon as I took a sip, it was tasteless. I, at once, kept it on the table and exited with my suitcase and my coat which I hung on the chair, my face donned with disgust . To make matters worse, the green-eyed fellow bumped into me as soon as I exited the restaurant.

"Oh! Sorry!" He apologized in a bit deep but gentle voice.
"It's Okay. Accidents happen" I said, still unhappy about my South Spiced tea.
"Say! Aren't you Mr. Wennly?" he asked, observing me.
"Why, Yes I am John Wennly. But, who are you? How do you know my name?" I replied, amazed.
He ignored all my questions and continued, "Just the man I needed! Never mind me ."
Then he gave a smile, as if it was a smile of relief, but for me, something was very uncanny about it. The man had a bit blunt nose and nearly flat lips. Ears were pointy. A queer man he was!

Then dragging me into an alley behind the café, which was quite small, full of dumpsters and dark, he said," You see, I want to find a gadget... which I have lost somewhere here. I was walking past this alley when the gadget was in my pocket. I think it might've fallen here. It's circular and blue in color. Very small. About the size of a ring. Could you use your brilliant mind and find it out? It's very urgent!"

I was very much confused. An eye brow of mine had risen just like when I was confused. Then I replied to him saying," See, whoever you are, you might've got the wrong guy, 'cause I ain't a mastermind and I don't have time for this."

The stranger stood in awe after I completed. Then he went to a corner of the alley and muttered to himself ,which I could vaguely get, " Fool! Fool! Fool! Wrong place!"
Anyways, I turned back and was about to leave when he exclaimed, "Then at least help me find it!"
I now with anger replied, "Didn't you hear what I said? I am very sorry but ,I DON'T HAVE TIME!!''He was starting to upset me further.
To this he replied, "Please, Help me find it!"

Frustrated and having no other choice, I bent down and started looking. After an hour or so, I finally found a circular object matching his description. It was a queer object though. It had thin lines of white in between, dark yellow boxes in between the lines and the background as light blue.

I turned and asked, "Is this it?"
He turned back and was filled with a feeling of joy. He snatched it from my hand and kissed it many times. Then he said to me," Told you that you were just the man I needed."
I gave no attention to the comment and just ignored him. Then he started adjusting something, so I stood there to see what it was that was so important to the stranger and what it was that I worked on for nearly an hour. To my astonishment, I saw him throw the little ring in the air and getting as big as the man's size! Through it I looked and saw something not of my knowing, but very vaguely as I was standing a bit far.

"Take a peek." He said, directing his eyes towards the large ring.

Now, what happened afterwards is completely black in my memory and I can't remember! I remember going nearer but then it's just, Puff! When I shared the incidents with my colleagues, they said that I've gone crazy. My life, afterwards, has been a complete misery 'cause I've been feeling like a part of myself is missing.