Fifteen - Part One

"Is this really necessary? I feel like this isn't necessary."

I protested to Yemisi as I stood in front of the floor-length mirror, looking over my dress.

The dress was a yellow billowy contraption that came down to my ankles and attempted to blind with its colour whoever was unfortunate enough to look at it.

"For the fifth time you have to wear it," Yemisi said, walking up behind me. "We're going to be taking pictures and I want you to fit in with the theme. You know how hard I've worked on this engagement party."

I gave a heavy sigh and turned away from the mirror. "I still don't get it. I don't get why what I wear is such a big deal for you. It's not going to make your future inlaws, who might I add you've met before like you any better, so I don't get why you're so anxious."

Yemisi huffed and placed her hand on her hip. "I wasn't anxious until I remembered I made you maid of honor and you have this worrying habit of saying the absolute worst things at the absolute worst times."

I gasped in mock horror. "It is called being honest and last I checked honesty is in short supply around these parts."

Yemisi groaned. "God please let me not be making a huge mistake," she whispered to herself before she walked forward and took my place in front of the mirror. "Just shut the hell up and help me zip this thing up."

Slightly miffed I helped her zip the dainty white dress she had on and stepped back.

"How do I look?" Yem gave a twirl as I assessed her.

She had on an embellished floor-length strapless ivory dress that flared out at the hips and gave her a sort of elegant fairytale princess look. She paired the outfit with simple white heels that were visible every time the dress swished and a sleek back ponytail.

She looked every bit the picture of a blushing bride.

"Do you think the rest of Harry's groomsmen would be half as annoying as Daniel?" I asked instead of answering her.

Yemisi deflated and I could see the anger brewing behind her sterling gray contacts.

"You know what? I hope so, so that you can feel exactly as I'm feeling right now."

"Oh come on." Yemisi moved past me to retrieve her matching purse. "I'm sorry, you look great, you know that."

Yem just clucked her tongue and very soon I was the only one left in the lavish changing room Wexton Hall provided for its upscale guests where we had been getting ready.

Today was the dreaded engagement party. The one that was planned for a hundred and twenty people within ten days. The one that had been stressing Yemisi and in turn me out. The one that would be the true test of my acting skills because it would take every ounce of talent I had to pretend to be friendly with Daniel.

It was also the one where I would meet the entire wedding party.

I hadn't met any of Harry's groomsmen - I refuse to acknowledge Daniel - and as an honorary member of the groom's party I knew I should be more invested and more excited that my friend was getting married but lately I just couldn't bring myself to summon the appropriate emotional response.

After spending an obscene amount of time shopping, planning, and flipping through glossy pages filled with every bridal gown imaginable, it was safe to say that I had become painfully jaded.

Hence Yemisi's complaint of my loose tongue.

The truth was that I was sick of everything. I was sick of being maid of honor. I was sick of Nigeria. I was sick of Daniel. I was sick of love and happiness. I just wanted to hop on the first flight anywhere and escape every time I caught the way Yem and Harry looked at each other.