34

I’ve never really had time to watch movies early in the morning. I’m always taking care of Junior, or cleaning up the house, or cooking. But today, a Monday morning, I was watching an old episode of Stranger things.

I was ready for school and was just waiting for Aunt Rhoda, Fayo, and Jane.

If not that I have to go to school that morning, it’d have been just the best morning of my life.

Especially when my grannie is cooking for me, in the kitchen. I could already smell the gbegiri, making me even hungrier. I just had to check what she was doing.

In the kitchen, I saw my mom’s origin, or should I say, the original copy of beauty. My mother’s mom was tasting the gbegiri soup by kicking her palm, smiling. She was old, and has lost her only daughter, but she still looks cheerful.  

Just like my mom, her skin was pale, and white as snow. Her hair was beginning to turn grey, but I could still see a few strands of blonde hair. Her blue eyes shone as she turned to face me, surprised by my presence.

“Sorry grannie, did I startle you?” I said when I noticed the surprised look on her face.

“Oh,” she laughed, “No. Get ready for school now, I’m preparing food for you already.”

“Only me? Or my crazy step sister, stepaunts, and unfamiliar cousins. Because I know you wouldn’t mind doing that.”

“Yes, for everyone. I noticed your chef isn’t around anymore, so it’d be nice for everyone to eat Amala for lunch. It’s a heavy meal, but it’s been so long I’ve cooked.” She said and had a sad look on her face. In case you’re wondering, my mom learnt how to cook Nigerian food from my mom. My mom learnt it from dad.

“Hmmm…always acting nice to everyone. I still remember the way Aunt Jaiye was acting around you.”

“But I savaged her, she doesn’t dare speak to me anyhow.” She said and giggled, turning off the gas cooker.

I smiled, “How’s Illinois? And work? And Uncle Ray?”

“One question at a time.” She said while adding water in a pot to boil. “Illinois has been a little boring. Love, work has been so hectic. My staff at the salon have been pissing me off lately, I’ve been firing alot of people.”

I chucked. “Typical grannie. No wonder why you always loved dad, you’re both perfectionists.”

She gave a sad smile before chuckling, “Now you know where you got my trait from.”

I gasped, “I’m not a perfectionist!”

“Says the girl who wanted to be the best at almost everything, when she was just eight.”

“Doesn’t count, I was eight.”

“Okay, why don’t you allow just anyone cook food for you?”

“I have ulcer.”

“Hmmm.” She said, starting to make the Amala. “Your grandfather was a doctor love, he treated alot of ulcer patients. It’s been years since you had any complications, you don’t need to do that.”

“It’s better to be safe than sorry.” I said, taking an apple from the counter. “What about uncle Ray?”

“He’s fine. Still not able to get over his sister’s death.” She left the Amala pot to boil, then looked at me. I knew how she felt, and I felt it too.

I walked over to her and hugged her. I hadn’t done that with her in a while. “I miss her grannie. I miss dad. Why is the universe doing this to me? I’m an orphan.”

She patted my back and let go of me, we were both crying. “Claire lost her dad when she was just seventeen, I knew I couldn’t die, because she wouldn’t have been able to handle it. If not for your dad, I don’t know if she would have been okay again. He helped her believe in life again.” She poked my nose. “You, my dear, are strong. You are stronger than you think. Just because you’re crying now, or you became mute because of your mom’s death doesn’t mean you’re not. I’m here for you.”

I hugged her again and left the kitchen. My eyes were already red and puffy.

In the living room, my bowl of popcorn was already empty. I saw Fayo watching Riverdale, her hundred percent attention on it.

“Fayo na? Why did you change what I was watching?” I said and grabbed the remote control from her hands.

She gasped and frowned. “Why are your eyes so red?”

“None of your business.”

She wanted to say more, but I increased the volume, sending her a message that I wasn’t interested in talking to her.

“It’s 7am already oo. Sorry I delayed you guys.” Jane appeared looking like queen bee in her uniform, as usual. But today, her look was a bit different. Her hair.

“You’re in Ss2, Mr. Jackson is going to kill you if you enter the school with that hair.” I chuckled, taking out of the bowl of popcorn.

“Well, I don’t have a choice. No one to make my hair!” she snapped.

I sighed, “Why don’t I help?”

Jane pulled a confused look.

“What are big sisters for?” I smirked.

“You’re only older with a year and a few months.”

“Yeah, that’s 400 days.” I smirked even more. “Come joor, I can’t allow my own sis to go to school looking like that.”

Jane rolled her eyes and walked over to stand in front of me. I took a comb I always kept in my bag and detangled her hair. I later had to get little water to conb the hair, natural hair is so strong.

I divided her hair into four sections with a tail comb, braiding them as fast as I could. By the time I was done, she looked better than she did before.

I had to give myself a imaginery pat on the back for the job well done.

“Wish I had a sister.” Fayo said and stood up carrying her bag. “Mr. Tunde is already outside. Jane, you don’t know what you have.” She smiled and walked out the door.

There was a moment of silence before she spoke. “Thanks.”

“No problem.”

“Are we still going to visit my mom?”

“Yeah. Today is my weekly appointment with Aunt Rhoda though, but I’ll call her. She’ll want to come early from work because of me.” I said.

“Oh…alright.” She said and we both walked out of the house.