Chapter III

The next day after school, I head straight over to the headquarters. I head straight up to the special task force and sit down at the desk next to Mr. Yagami.

"So today's the day we find out which region Kira's in."

"Yes."

The news is projected onto the large screen in the room. The normal program is interrupted by L's broadcast. The criminal Lind L. Taylor appears onscreen.

"We are interrupting your program to bring you a live, globally broadcast from Interpol," a voice says on the large screen.

"I am Lind L. Taylor, more commonly known as "L". The sole person to mobilize police in every country worldwide.

Here we go.

The others in the special task force start whispering to each other about seeing L's face for the first time. I lean back in my chair, knowing that it isn't L on the screen.

"Criminals have been the targets of a mass killing spree," Lind says. "Which has turned into the largest mass murder case in history. This monstrous crime has to be stopped at all costs. "Kira" as the perpetrator is commonly known as will be caught. I guarantee it. Kira, I think I've got a pretty good idea of why you're doing this. But what you're doing, is evil! Police worldwide have launched a joint investigation."

After ten seconds, Lind starts to have a heart attack.

As two men remove Lind's body, L's voice comes on to the program. "I can't believe it. That was an experiment to test the hunch I had, but I never thought... Kira, you can actually kill people without direct contact. So, my hunch was right. I couldn't believe it till I saw it with my own eyes, but you can. You'd have to, of course, it wouldn't make sense otherwise. Listen to me, Kira. If you just killed Lind L. Taylor, the man you just saw on your TV, he was a condemned criminal scheduled to die today, at this hour. His arrest and conviction were kept secret from the media and went unreported even on the internet. Even you had no way of knowing about him, it seems... But I, L, do in fact exist. So, come on! Kill me if you can! What are you waiting for?"

Other detectives in the task force start talking to each other. "He's really upping the stakes here. Is he crazy? He's going to die!"

"Come on! Go ahead and kill me. I'm still here. Can't do it, Kira? Evidently, you aren't able to kill me. So, there are people you can't kill. That's a valuable clue. Now I'll give you some information in return. Although it was announced that this was being televised globally, in actuality, it was broadcast only in the Kanto region around Tokyo. The plan was to broadcast live to other areas in turn, but that's no longer necessary. You are in the Kanto region of Japan, Kira. And, although the police have missed this, your first victim was the Shinjuku killer who took eight people, hostage, in a Nursery school. He then suspiciously came back to life. Based on that, there's someone cleaning up after you," L says.

That was me cleaning up Light's mess.

"Also, his crime, when compared to those of the notorious murderers who died of heart attacks, was not very serious. Moreover, this case was reported only in Japan, nowhere else. That was all the information I needed. I knew, Kira, that you were in Japan! And that your first victim was nothing but a guinea pig for testing your powers! We broadcast first to the Kanto region because it has the largest regional population in the country. That you happened to be there was pure luck. I didn't expect this to work so perfectly according to plan. Now, I dare say, it may not be so long before I send you to die."

Matsuda says, "Wow, this L is pretty amazing," to Mr. Yagami and me.

"Obviously, he's the best detective in the world. Did you expect less?" I ask.

"No. I just mean, we've never actually worked with him till now. I didn't know what to expect."

"Kira, it would interest me greatly to know how you carry out your murders. But, that's something I can find out after I catch you! Kira, I'm going to find and dispose of you, if it's the last thing I do! I'm righteous! Till we meet again, Kira," L says and then the program goes back to the scheduled program.

L's symbol pops up onto the computer that is set up just for him.

"L," I say, walking over to the computer.

"Yes."

"Kira's kinda stupid."

"How?"

"If I were Kira, I would have waited till the program was over to kill Lind. Also, what would you have done if Kira did wait till after the program was broadcast in the Kanto region?"

"We then would have been looking in the wrong region. If that happened, it would just be a minor setback. We'd still be able to find out which region he is in."

"Good to know. I'm guessing you always have a plan for everything."

"Yes. I do."

"We're going to find Kira and take him down."

A special thanks to:

KieshaDwi5 and Suiren_Sho

Thank you for your vote!