Epilogue - Part 9

6 months later...

Hong Chang-sik grunted over the video link. "I've ordered the blue silk thread be sent back but the delay while we wait for them to correct the dye will push delivery of the promotional batch back by 3 months. We were hoping to have the bags on celebrity arms for Seoul Fashion Week. With this interruption we won't make it."

Se-ri glanced away from the screen and out of the large picture window that overlooked Lake Geneva. It was an overcast day and the forecast had warned of rain. The sullen weather made her crave hot chocolate and the warmth of Jeong-hyeok's arms. She smiled. He had an afternoon class but if she sent him a text worded just right, he might agree to play hooky with her.

"Boss?"

She reigned her errant thoughts in. "If we miss Seoul we miss it. It's more important to get the first drop perfect."

Once upon a time she'd have demanded the manufacturers complete the work by the deadline, whatever the sacrifices. She'd have threatened and harassed and accepted nothing less than compliance. That Se-ri was gone. People had lives. Fashion was essential but not critical. Plus, her stock value was still riding the crest of a wave made by exposure of her shock marriage. Photos of Korea's Romeo and Juliet had dominated news covers and screens across the globe, and of course Se-ri had ensured she and Jeong-hyeok wore items from her brand in every one. God that man was a born model, always standing in perfect light with his face tilted to its best advantage. Somehow the candid shots caught by paparazzi were even more charming; they always caught him staring intently at her, oblivious to the rest of the world. His fans called themselves cap-ris. Ridiculous! But she couldn't blame them, he was more addictive than class A drugs. The constant exposure had product lines selling out faster than her Seri's Choice could fulfill, waiting lists now stretched for months. Harrods of London, Bloomingdales of New York, GUM of Moscow, Galeries Lafayette of Paris and numerous other heritage department stores were clamoring to partner with her. Opening a Geneva office for her European headquarters wasn't a choice, it was a necessity. She'd promoted Hong Chang-sik to director of the Korean branch while she handled the European expansion. Now strangely she was the one urging him to go home at night and ensure the employees had a decent work-life balance.

A perfunctory knocked sounded on the door. It opened a moment later to reveal Julie Kim, the 19-year-old who'd interpreted at their wedding. The girl smiled brightly.

Se-ri frowned and glanced at her Dior wristwatch.

"You have a quiz tomorrow. Shouldn't you be in the library studying?"

Julie held up a placating hand. "I'm leaving now. Promise! Secretary Min wanted some help with the invitations for the winter CEO lunch. She also said to tell you that your 2pm was moved up to 12. The CEO of Design Works is flying out tonight. He says he can meet you at 12 today or in 2 weeks. I've called your driver, I know you'd prefer today."

Se-ri nodded. "Keep me posted, Chang-sik. Set a revised deadline and let's do our best not to slip any further back."

She ended the call. Julie held out her wool coat and an umbrella. She waved at Secretary Min as she passed her desk. The mother of two shared her workload with two other secretaries. It was a new approach Se-ri was trialing. Many hands made light work, the English said. Many hands also made for a better work-life balance, her new watch word. It was working out surprisingly well.

Secretary Min gave her a delighted smile. "Enjoy the meeting!"

Se-ri nodded, though a little confused at Secretary Min's enthusiasm for a business lunch.

The protection guard stationed outside her office peeled away from the wall and matched her stride as she crossed the busy floor to the elevator. She'd hired a team of former Swiss secret service men to protect her family. North Korea might claim to harbour no grudges but she didn't believe in leaving important things to chance. In the large townhouse she and Jeong-hyeok shared with his parents, five guards patrolled the perimeter 24 hours a day. There'd be no assassinations on her watch.

The elevator was quiet. She'd considered buying a building for her growing team but her itinerary was already jammed with tasks. Occupying the sixth floor of the historical, centrally located building would suffice for now, even if the aged elevator did crawl at a snail's pace. While they descended, she ran through the items she wanted to discuss with the CEO of Design Works, then checked her personal phone for messages. Her mother was making plans to join them in Geneva for Samjinnal. She'd sent photos of her newly purchased winter wardrobe. Se-ri swiped through the elegant looks with a critical eye and a bemused smile. A message from Se-jun popped up. She rolled her eyes and opened it. He was crowing at the news Sae-hyun's sentence had been extended by 6 months after he was implicated in a phone card scam in his medium security prison. She shook her head. The longer they kept her middle brother in jail the better for everyone, including him.

She was still scrolling through messages as they crossed the main lobby and exited the building. When the guard opened her car door she was halfway in before she noticed the other passenger. She paused. Jeong-hyeok lounged comfortably on the far side of the leather seat wearing a smile that pulled out his dimples and holding two disposable cups from their favourite coffee shop.

She slid into the car, baffled but pleased by his presence. "Don't you have class?"

He'd begun an MA in Musical Performance at the Geneva Haute école de musique a few months ago and was loving the program.

Jeong-hyeok shrugged and glanced out of the window at the sky. "It's going to rain. Nice day for playing hookey."

He passed her one of the cups and the scent of chocolate and mint rose to tease her nose. She grinned. "Did Secretary Min cancel my meetings?" Her secretary's eagerness at her departure now made sense.

He nodded. "She did. We have movie tickets. Cine 17 is showing His Girl Friday."

She grinned at the mention of one of her favourite films. Then unexpected tears prickled. All the hardships she'd endured in her youth, all the rejection and the painful loneliness she'd thought would crush her – thank god she'd hung on. It had all led to this. This man who loved her unconditionally and found new ways to make her smile every day. Her heart swelled. God bless that stupid storm that sent her crash landing into his life.

She slid across the seat and he pulled her into the warmth of his body. Thunder boomed and seconds later rain pattered gently against the windows. Peace, love and happiness radiated through every molecule of her body.

"I love you!" She whispered against his neck where her head nestled.

He shifted so he could press a kiss to the top of her head. "I love you more."

The car pulled away from the curb and glided into the busy, windswept road. Inside the vehicle its occupants snuggled together, insulated from the elements.