The Tunnel

My face was shrouded in darkness as soon as I entered the underground tunnels of the Miramar base. I looked around, allowing my eyes to adjust to the dim light. I squinted, trying to make out a small glint that shone, a speck of light that only a pilot with extraordinary vision could see. Jackpot.

Carefully, I made my way through the tunnel, taking notes of the little drops of water pinging off the concrete floor. Even though I had special security clearance to be here, it is better to be quiet than to potentially meet someone. The speck grew larger and I made it to the other end of the tunnel. Dead end of course.

I looked down and picked up the shiny object. I rubbed it against my fingers and could feel ridges in it. A screw, maybe? I pocketed it and felt along the wall for any other secrets that may be lurking down here.

Once I was satisfied with this tunnel, I went back out of it to greet my husband, Tom Kazansky. You may know him as a captain for now, but he has big dreams to be an Admiral. I'm Sarah Kazansky.

I pulled out the object and winced as the sun reflected off of it right into my eyes.

"What do you think it is, Ice?" I asked him, holding it out. He took it from my hand and studied it closely.

"It looks like a screw, but it's nothing like I've ever seen before. I'll have to take it to the maintenance department," he replied. I nodded, satisfied enough at his response.

I bid goodbye to him and began walking up to the Admiral's office. Admiral Gladys was the one who appointed me to search the tunnels for some kind of evidence. You see, strange noises have been reported all around base. Some loud, some quiet. There have been rumors that someone is not as they seem, and could be working on a project that can harm both the base and the world.

I made it to the Admiral's office and rapped on the door. I heard a faint "come in" and I walked in, standing at attention in front of the tall and muscular Admiral.

"At ease. Did you find anything for me, Kazansky?" He asked, his eyes sharp.

"Yes sir, I found what looked like a screw, but it had a shine to it, as if it was brand new. I sent it to maintenance to see if it could be checked out," I replied after resting my body.

"Good, good. I hope we find something soon," he said, putting his arms behind his back and beginning to pace. "You are free for the rest of the day. I want you searching the other tunnel tomorrow."

"Yes, sir!" I replied hastily.

"You are dismissed."

I walked out of the office and went over to the class where Tom was teaching. He does fly, but he honestly prefers teaching.

"Oh sorry, did I interrupt your little... training session?" I teased him.

"Come right in, you arrived at the perfect time," he smiled.

I strolled in confidently and made my way to the front of the class.

"Congratulations, you get to hold the model plane while I teach the class the different maneuvers," his eyes lit up mischievously.

"Great, give it here," I rolled my eyes. I didn't mind, as long as I was there beside him. We taught the class until there was a slight rumbling sound. It happened for a few seconds and then stopped. All the students looked around, worried.

"Don't panic, class. We are trying to get to the bottom of this mystery. The noises mean no harm," Tom said in a voice of authority. A calmness fell over the class and we resumed teaching until the time was up.

"Good lesson everyone, I'll see you all tomorrow," Tom smiled and watched everyone leave. He then turned to me. "Let's hope the noises never hurt us..."

"Don't be silly, we got this!" I tried to be enthusiastic.

"Of course, of course," he pulled me into a hug and then we went to our house shortly after.

—————
I tried a different approach this time! Let me know if you like it!