Hostage Crisis

It was never easy being a Jedi in training, or a princess training to become a queen someday. Either of those was hard on its own but try being both at the same time.

Young Gabriella Skywalker felt pretty happy with her life now. Aside from the Clone Wars going on right now, she remained high-spirited and optimistic. For her parents, she gave them both something to fight for, and someone who always welcomed them when they come after being gone for even a short time.

Gabby was growing a lot and gaining a lot of new powers, smarts, and skills. Recently, she discovered all kinds of new tricks she could do with her elemental powers. Her favorite had to be making rainbows she could slide on, growing plants that were big and strong enough to play on, or on hot days, turning water into giant waterslides. But the one power she hadn't unlocked yet was using the Force.

Since before she could remember, Gabby had seen lots of Jedi, including her father, use the Force to levitate objects, jump really high, or trick the minds of others. Gabby wanted to be able to do things like that, but even after she turned three, she still couldn't even levitate a feather, not even when she tried adding 'wingardium leviosa' like in a book she was read. Anakin and the other Jedi told Gabby that she would get her powers in time, but the young princess was starting to think the Force was not on her side.

Today, young Princess Gabby was in her mother, Padme Amidala's office, napping in a chair, while her brother Boba sat in a chair reading, Boba's unicorn Remix was listening to music on his headphones, and Gabby's guardian alicorn Carousella lay on the floor close by.

Anakin was sitting in a chair next to Padme's desk, relaxing. He was on meditative leave for a couple weeks. And he had an idea.

"We should go away together," said Anakin. "I know a place far away from here where no one would recognize us. It'll be like a family vacation."

"I-I can't, Ani." Padme said.

"What do you mean you can't?" Anakin scoffed. "It's only two weeks. We'll be back before anyone notices we're gone."

"Knowing your kids," said Carousella, looking at her sleeping friend. "I'm pretty sure everyone would notice they're gone when nothing crazy happens for more than fifteen minutes."

"Hey." Boba whined.

"I have to bring this bill before the Senate." Padme said, ignoring the horse's remark. "It's important."

"Uh-huh. More important than the way you feel about me?" Anakin smirked.

Padme sighed. "Not more important. But important. The work I do- the work we both do is in service to the Republic to protect those who would otherwise be powerless to protect themselves."

"Of course, but those are ideals." said Anakin. "Isn't our love more important to you?"

"But I-"

"No, no but. To me, there's nothing more important than the way I feel about you. Nothing."

Padme started to get up from her chair.

"Anakin, don't be so-"

"Oh, you don't believe me."

"I didn't say I-"

"I'll prove it. Just watch." Anakin took his lightsaber off his belt and held it up to his wife. "When I finished constructing my lightsaber, Obi-Wan said to me, 'Anakin, this weapon is your life.' This weapon is my life."

Padme initially rejected the lightsaber, but he gently took her hand and placed the weapon in it.

"Wow," said Padme, sounding impressed. "It's heavier than I thought."