chapter 3

After like 20 minutes of waiting in the car, she came back. She got in the car with one shopping bag, and sat silently the whole ride. Her arms were crossed and her knees shifted towards the car door rather than towards me.

She was pissed.

I barely stopped the car in her driveway when she got out and stomped up to her door and slammed it behind her. I pulled back out, realizing this was it. I made her angry. She was gonna do it.

When I got home, I was surprisingly calm. It was gonna happen. No need to freak out; that wouldn't help anyway.

I ran a bath. I hadn't taken a bath in awhile. Only showers recently. I added a lot of bubbles to the scolding hot water... so many that they overflowed and hit the floor when I finally stepped into the tub.

It's over. Your privacy. Your safe space.

I slid down so my head would go under water.

It'll never be the same again. She's probably posting about it on her tiktok right now. She probably took pictures secretly.... Videos....

I let all the breath I was holding out. It bubbling up in the water.

You'll never be comfortable. Or at peace. Or safe.

I was struggling to stay under water now.

You just had to open the door.

My phone was on the sink and it started raining loudly. The sound was muffled under the water, but still super loud.

I couldn't hold my breathe any longer so my body instinctively inhaled some water. It burned.

I shot up, tons of water sloshing over the side of the tub and onto the floor. I coughed up even more water and gasped for air for a minute. My phone kept ringing.

When I finally got out and picked up my phone, I saw that all the missed calls were from a number I didn't recognize. My phone rang again in my hand, and I silenced it and went to my room to get dressed and lay down.

***
Hours passed and I couldn't sleep. Fucking sleep apnea.

I opened my phone to scroll through Twitter and saw a dozen more calls from the number, and one text reading:

My thumb hovered over the call button. Almost on cue, my phone rang once again. I answered.

"Hi." I said flatly.

"Corpse." She said.

"I want you to know you've made my anxiety worse than ever. I don't even want to ask how you found my number."

"Your address links to your number. All I had to do was google the phone book." She said.

"What do you want?" I sighed.