27

Chloe

Chloe

Making my way to the one place I sense the most security, I sneak in, observing him, settled comfortably on his bed highlighted by the pale cyanic moonlight. Peaks and valleys slowly rise and fall with his melodic breath. Admiring his physique, I gawk in awe, observing his decorated skin dance in the night luminescence.

Tiptoeing to the opposite side, I bend one knee, sliding under the sheets to lie within proximity, exhaling a deep, long breath. Watching his body rest, my eyes mist in anguish. I've caused him so much misery, I couldn't protect our child.

He's done everything in his power to comfort me to allow me my space, yet keep him within arms reach and now, I must break his heart yet again with the knowledge I lost our child. Why couldn't I do more, why couldn't I stop him from taking a piece of Axle from me.

His hand lies extended upon the gray Egyptian cotton multi-thread count sheets. I crave to reach out and come into contact with his tattooed flesh.

My hand makes its way in his direction halting mere centimeters short of his decorated fingers. Pondering whether or not, if his touch will create the same electric response to our connection? My longing orbs follow the lines on his neck, down to his chest, following his stomach– he's an absolute beauty.

My eyes commence to water. Axle stirs, waking up to my light heaving, heather gray eyes focus on mine piercing with his gaze, capturing my breath. I observe his body at rest, with confusion, unsure how to proceed. His breaths are steady and unwavering when I conclude I must take a leap.

Allowing the words to flow passed my lips, "I'm so sorry Axle." Unbeknownst to him, my apology is for the loss of our child. Why was I so weak! Why couldn't I have been more– more...; why couldn't I cease his attack? Leading to the theft of our child.

His face contorts, eyebrows unifying in mystification at my utterance, "There is nothing to be sorry about Chloe. I get it, you need time and I'm here for it."

Reiterating, "No! I'm sorry Axle. Please, I'm so sorry," my head cascades from side to side, eyes drifting shut, allowing myself to gain my composure.

Eyes fluttering open, my arm elongates to reach for his strong, angular face, but something halts my arrival. Lying there unmoved, patient, he allows my pace to proceed.

If we connect he's real. I know he's real but it makes it all real for me. He remains unmoved. "I... I need to... touch you. I need to know you're real," I whisper in fear of his response and the notion that this is my reality.

"Anything you desire," he huffs out in a barely audible breath.

Slowly extending my arm, I attempt again, reaching his electrifying skin causing my world to explode. His eyes seal at my touch. I skim his stubbly left cheek in disbelief as he resides in front of me. He's alive, breathing and within reach!