Prologue

The Dragon of Time Four

Prologue

Time has passed since the dragons appeared in the flesh. Naga took the oceans, and with her serpents, krakens, and giant squids, she destroyed vessels, trade, lives. Her twin brother, Mireu took to the skies, and from above, he blew gales, twisters, and tornadoes, destroying homes, roads, crops.

Bolla was a perplexing creature, a small cloud of blackness and glowing, red specks. It appeared only at night, attacking caravans and travelers. Khmer was discovered in a cave; she lied on her side, plopping out one egg after another, seemingly causing no one any harm, and so Rana Sahni deployed her special guards to protect the queen dragon.

Bakunawa was spotted once, hovering over a temple of light. Her followers, knowing full well their God was but a Dragon agreed their life, their culture was too important to relinquish. Besides, what had the real Gods ever done for Qing Sho?

Fafnir left Alduheim months ago. He simply marched away and was never seen again. People yet argued, and people yet wondered, and the paladins yet preached, but joining the Gods seemed like an act of war, rebellion. Joining the dragons seemed like protecting one's borders, one's way of life.

Joining the Gods required prayer, pilgrimage, fighting, sacrifice. Joining the Dragons gave one free magic, powerful magic. Joining the Dragons meant one more thing, fighting scar, the Dragon Slayer himself.

No one knew for sure what to believe; Scar was said to be a man, but how was any man capable of stealing the souls of Dragons? Wielding their magics combined?

Some thought Scar an agent of the Dragons. Some thought him an agent of the Gods. Some, still, thought him an uncanny creature capable of laying the world to waste....