Far Away and Apart

"That is it, you are going without question, as you disrespected my wishes, tore your best lace night-gown Aunt Claudia hand-made, and feel no compunction for your actions, as you stand there with that... smirk on your face! Have you no grace?" Lillian's mother was elbow deep in cookies to bring to a local bake sale, by the corner store, so flour smeared her face in snow streaks. With her hair static-full, it would bring anyone to a smirk of suppressed laughter. That is, nothing besides her appearance was funny: her tone was chilling, and she banged her fist on the kitchen table.

"It doesn't matter, I am aware I am going." Lillian said, allowing her voice to sink into a relaxed state, as if she didn't mind. Lillian relished the fact that her mother was mad: her own form of redemption.
She strolled out of the wooden kitchen, a long list of chores to take care of, an aching desire to scream, as she made her way throughout the house.
The house had been in their family for generations upon generations, a beautiful three story house, with a winding staircase up to an attic decked in old toys and dresses reeking of must. When Lillian was little, her father and her would build fortresses up to the sloping ceiling, and her mother would arrange tea parties, of which the entirety of Lillian's teddy-bear collection would be invited.
The main level of the home had rich dark furniture, and a library/office space, complete with towering bookshelves of colourful assortments. Lillian had read each book, especially in the science section, which she found most enthralling.
Lillian liked having pure knowledge on things, for that gave her a sense of control. Things were utterly out of her control at the moment, so later on as the sun began to set amongst the massive clouds, she was presently avid, nose-deep within chemistry.
Lamplight flickered softly, lulling her into a sleep, worries dissipating into dreamless breaths.

The next day greeted the earth with blue-skies and vivid brightness. The chores resumed. One was a new task: packing up her bedroom for the school. Her curtains, bed, and dresser remained on their own in the room, for the space was to be used for her brother. Once every item was enclosed in an ancient-appearing trunk, she was left to dust, and sweep.
Lillian was trying not to be bitter on her last two days. Her parents had arranged for a party of a sort, complete with various cakes and going away gifts, boring, bland ones, such as more dresses and hair clips galore. It felt twisted, the party, as there really was nothing to celebrate in her mind. As for the minds of older relatives, she was fortunate to possess such an opportunity of a lifetime, an opportunity of wealth and highest virtue. To Lillian, it was just the departure she was given.
Departure hadn't been her favourite thing to inevitably trudge through.
She sat in the large dining room, with cream-coloured cake, dim lighting casting shadows across the green-tinted wall lined with cook books. The wallpaper enveloped the room in a forest setting, dripping in sunlight depicted by bits of tinted paper.
Everyone sat in the living room, adjacent to the dining room, that was strewn with evocative balloons, fondled by young and eager hands. The adults nibbled on cold-cut sandwiches and Lillian's youngest cousins raced blithely around the room, knocking down patterned furniture in their pursuit of one another, in the warmth of the window light.

"Lillian, come here dear, your guests are due to leave soon." Her mother stated, in a voice she reserved especially for guests. She was positioned on the third couch, wedged in between her grandparents.

Head fried with boredom and exasperation, Lillian did so, under the gaze of many people her mother yearned desperately to impress, to ward away commentary.

"Hello sweetie. My, you're getting more beautiful by the day, ain't she Ted?" Her grandmother hobbled towards her, a pink shawl wrapped around her body, patting her face with a gnarled hand.

And therefore I have value? She thought, cheeks tinted pink in chagrin.

"Ha. How much fun you will have dear, how much fun! Get yourself a suitable man after with the lady skills you are to acquire." Her grandmother poked her playfully in the ribs. "Cut down on the cake dearest, first appearances are everything."