𝟏.𝟎𝟔 - 𝐟𝐚𝐦𝐢𝐥𝐲 𝐝𝐚𝐲

╔══ஓ๑☼๑ஓ══╗
— 𝐯𝐨𝐥𝐮𝐦𝐞 𝟏 | 𝐩𝐚𝐫𝐭 𝟔 —
╚══ஓ๑☼๑ஓ══╝

(Ruby's POV)

It was the next day and it was already flying by, before I knew it I was walking out of Painting class alone. Harry hadn't shown up for some reason. I shrugged to myself with a small frown and told myself I'd ask him whenever I saw him. I took my books from my locker and made my way to the meadow not far off from the school into the woods, I strayed off the hiking path and found my destination after a few minutes. I was starting to set down my things when I saw someone in the flowers not too far away.

"Hello?" I called out cautiously, putting my bag back on my shoulder before slowly walking towards the figure.

"I ain't got no business with anyone right now so take yer'self elsewhere." The figure snapped, not even looking up from their spot in the field. I tilted my head a little, bewildered before I eventually realized I'd recognized that scruffy Scottish accent anywhere.

"Harry?" I asked and made my way over, looking down at him where he lay. He popped his eyes open and met mine, sitting up instantly.

"Oh, it's just you lassie, I'm sorry for being rude..." he sighed and ran his fingers through his hair. I frowned a little and set my things down, sitting next to him.

"Is something wrong? I didn't see you in class today, I couldn't tell if you were ditching or if I should've been worried..." I said with a small laugh to diffuse things. He just shrugged and let out a long sigh, laying back in the grass.

"It's a long story..." he said and draped his arm over his eyes.

"I've got the time," I said back with a small smile, scooting a little closer. He pulled his arm back down and took a deep breath, a scowl forming on his face.

"You could say I didn't exactly leave the island on good terms..." he started, seeming to collect his thought before he spoke again. "I had a captain on the isle, her name was Uma, and I was her first mate. She was absolutely livid that she wasn't one of the five selected to come ta Auradon so naturally, she didn't want me to accept my invitation, said I belonged there with her and the crew. And then there's my father, I didn't even tell him I got an invitation, we were never on good terms growin' up you see, so I didn't think it was any of that scumbag's business to know anyway."

"What did you end up telling them before you left?" I asked with a constant frown on my features.

"I didn't tell 'em shit..." He snapped to no one in particular "Uma would've lost et on me and my father probably would've strapped me down somewhere till it was too late." He said in frustration and let out a long sigh "The only people I told sort of, were my sisters..."

"You have siblings?" I asked in a bit of shock.

"Yeah, just two, Harriet and CJ. I loved 'em to death those girls. I left the two of 'em letters where I know they'd find it, told them to tell a couple others for me as well." He seemed to smile a little as it looked like he was recalling his sisters, grimacing again before he glanced at me "Anyway, the point of this was. During remedial ass-ness, Fairy Godmother arranged a "special treat" for us in honor of family day coming up. She had a video call set up and arranged for us to see our parents and you could only imagine how that went."

"Was it that bad?" I asked a bit timidly and slowly lay next to him propped on my elbow, resting my head on top of my hand.

"It was gods awful, the other's parents were being snippy and fighting with one another, Carlos snapped at his mum for the first time, and my father... at first he just stared at the camera, he looked like he was ready to break something. It wasn't till he had enough of the others that he got them to shut up and completely exploded on me. Calling me a 'useless son who had no right calling himself loyal when he was able to abandon his own blood just like that'. Apparently, Uma had told him where I ran off to after some time of me missing. Some more things were said between the two of us, nothing I'm really proud of sharing either, and the call just ended with him smashing the screen to bits." He finished. He let out this half-angry/half-sarcastic laugh as he looked towards the trees "He's fucking mad, something has never been right with that man... I guess I know where I get it from." I gave myself a second to process what he said before gently putting my hand over his arm.