CHAPTER 1

Thunder clashed overhead, giving fear to children and dogs across the world. It rattled buildings and started small bursts of fires through the dangerous strikes of lightning. The storm was excruciatingly terrible. It had appeared out of nowhere, spreading across most nations around the Earth. Scientists were staying up for hours, trying to figure out where this dreadful cyclone came from. And as the sun set like normal, the moon rising after, people began to tuck into their beds, each giving a wish to wake up to clear skies and a rain-free morning.

A Norwegian boy was first to go to bed. He gave his friends one last goodbye, turning off his incredibly broken iPad and plugging it in on the floor beside him. He laid on his mattress, covering himself with a set of among us themed blankets, engulfed in the videogame he had at first joked about liking so dearly, but had ended up enjoying the game more and more overtime. He stared at the stars and stickers above him, drawing lines with his eyes over the familiar sights and wonders of his room. Boxes and bins laid across the floor, stocking the small shelves and preventing an old childish toybox from being opened. Pokémon plushies and old broken barbies littered the wooden flooring along with the sets upon sets of Legos.

Closing his eyes, the Norwegian felt himself getting more and more tired. He cuddled up against the stuffed figures beside him. He reached out and grabbed the matching black among us plush, matching the theme of his bedsheets. Holding it close, he let his mind wander as he waited for himself to drift off. But this wait was soon interrupted by a quiet huff and sudden movement beside him.

With a small jump, a cat appeared at his side. The boy cooed, reaching out and petting the familiar roommate, who in returned his appreciation by laying on her side, her back pressed up against her friend. She could barely be seen in the darkness. Her black coat with orange freckles made her invisible to the eye. The only bit noticeable was the feeling of her fur and the soft rumble of a purr.

Quiet thoughts ran around the kid's mind. Going from art to music to video games to his friends, he thought of everything and anything, before landing on the topic of a Minecraft roleplay. Arctic SMP, better known as ASMP. The server had started off with just a couple kids fooling around after meeting at an Orlando convention and bonding over their love for the hit game Minecraft and the streaming of it on Twitch. They created a server together, inviting their friends from before the convention.

At first it was just simple Minecraft gameplay. But as their viewers grew, so did their ideas. The streamer's fans began to give headcanons to the characters they had yet to even create. Their users became oc names. Their skins that they had downloaded years ago when they were just simple young children had been drawn in different interpretations over and over again. Viewer counts skyrocketed when the first roleplaying stream arrived. It developed over months, reaching a year of successful streams. Every time one of the members would do lore, twitter would blow up with screaming fans, making fanart and coming up with ideas. The server grew, gaining more and more members, as their community only expanded. They had gone from simple visitors of conventions, to guest stars with some of the longest lines just for a handshake. Cosplays, merch, entire events, all from their server.

The boy smiled. He had been invited to the server a while ago by one of the original people from the first convention. They had been friends for years so it was a given that he would eventually get in. He thought of his character, a reality-warping foxboy with a love of tricks and messing with the others. He became a favorite among the fans, being known as the server comedian. His eyes closed, mind wandering, as he finally began to drift to sleep. The cat beside him continued to purr as his movements on the feline's back began to slow, until the boy's hand had completely stopped, and he had fallen into slumber.

At first all he saw was darkness. He could almost feel a bitter frost surrounding him. Reaching his arms up, he shivered in the supposed cold. He slowly opened his eyes and looked around. Dirt and stone walls surrounded him. Was he perhaps in a cave? A weird way to start a dream, but nonetheless should probably explore a bit. The boy sat up from his- sleeping bag? Was he camping? The cave he resided in was decently big. Some wooden boxes and tools scattered around, pressed against the walls to make room for a table and chairs in the center. Some books and documents rested on the table.