VI

"You think it's okay to sob in the bathroom now?" Mina asked.

Momo stabbed her lunch with a plastic fork, refusing to meet the girl's intimidating eyes. Mina huffed angrily. Not only was she upset that their reputation was being ruined, but also because Y/N was the one comforting her.

"You're so stupid! Do you know what will happen if word gets out? The entire school will look at us like we're a joke,"

Sana fidgeted uncomfortably as she watched Momo get shouted at.

"I'm sorry!"

Tears pricked at her eyes again and she felt that familiar twang of guilt in her stomach. Mina didn't say anything else. She only glared at the older girl, implying that she was weak with her scowl.

"Let's just look on the bright side! Y/N was there to help Momo calm down," Sana said, desperate to remove the tension from the air.

Mina visibly tensed at the mention of Y/N, a queasy feeling bubbling in her gut. Her cheeks tinted pink at just the thought of her.

"Speaking of Y/N, I'm going to go sit with her. She's much nicer than you Mina," Momo yelled, slamming her hands on the table as she stood up.

Mina looked over to you. You were across the cafeteria, sitting with Nayeon. Though, you guys looked much more distant than usual. You were staring down at you lunch while Nayeon only spoke every few minutes, which was very abnormal for her.

"If you go over there, I will make your life a living hell," Mina threatened, her eyes cold.

"You already have."

Momo grabbed her designer bag from off the table and glanced behind her. When she looked at you, you looked back and made eye contact with her. You shot her a smile and waved.

"Momo, I didn't want to have to do this. If you don't sit down, I'll stop paying off your parents debt,"

Momo glanced back and forth between you and Mina. She was choosing between social status and a true friendship. Between good and evil. Despite this, she still sat back down.

"Good choice," Mina victoriously smirked, knowing that Momo along with the entire school was wrapped about her finger.

The bell had rung, and everyone began to shuffle out of the cafeteria. You and Nayeon were pushed close together by the many rushing people. You couldn't help but enjoy the warmth radiating off of her body. Once she walked you to your locker, she just stood next to you awkwardly and twiddled her fingers.

"Look Nayeon," you started, "what you did was wrong, but we can't just not speak to one another."

"So you forgive me?"

Her eyes beamed light and she quickly hugged you.

"I'm sorry, Y/N. It's just my dad abandoned me when I was young and when it took you so long to show up, those feelings resurfaced," Nayeon expressed, her eyes boring into yours.

"I'm not sure how that's equivalent, but i'm sorry, too," you apologized, wrapping your arms around her frail waist.

She smiled into your shoulder, "Does that mean you'll carry my books?"

"Of course,"

You slung your backpack over your shoulder and carried her books under your arm. She intertwined your hands together. It was all a little odd; she was almost too touchy.

Mina was watching you from the storage closet her hand clenched in anger. She watched you drop Nayeon off at her class and turn around to go to your locker. As you passed the storage closet, Mina swung the door opened and dragged you in.

"What the fuck!" Y/N screamed.

Mina clamped her hand over your mouth and switched the light switch on. When Y/N saw who it was, she was less startled, but still had a glint of fear in her eyes.

"Momo was crying in the bathroom, huh?" Mina questioned.

You stayed quiet, not wanting to expose Momo to the devil herself. Your eyes began to glance back and forth in fear. It seemed like which each tick of the clock, Mina took a step closer. With every step she took forward, you took one back. She viewed this as an exchange of betrayal. Soon enough, your back made contact with the cool, concrete wall.

"I already know she was crying. What I don't understand is why she's so interested in you now," Mina said.

"She said she was interested in me?"

A bubble of excitement grew in your stomach. Mina, unfortunately for you, could read you like an open book and could see how your eyes lit up.

Mina completely disregarded your question, "If I start to cry, would you comfort me, too?" Mina teased.

She put a faux pout on her face.

"Please let me go to class," you begged.

Mina smirked as your voice wavered. She placed her two arms against the wall, completely trapping your body.

"Not until you comfort me like you did Momo. You know my life is pretty hard, too!" she tried to sound stressed, but it almost came out as a brag.

"Yeah, i'm sure it's so hard. The entire school is terrified of you because your dad is the principal and you're like one of the prettiest girls I've ever seen," you rambled, hoping that feeding her ego would get you out faster.

Mina's face turned a deep red and she began to feel nervous herself. How did you have this effect on her?

"You think i'm pretty?" Mina asked.

She dropped her arms to behind her back and began to subconsciously shift back and forth.

"Are you serious? Although I think you're personality is disgustingly ugly, you're still drop dead gorgeous,"

For the first time ever, you saw Mina smile. A full, toothy smile. Not only were her teeth pearly white, but when she smiled her gums were put on display. Her eyes also squinted. You found yourself smiling too as hers was contagious.

"Thank you,"

Mina found herself stumbling over her words, barely able to speak. She's never shown emotion to anyone except for her father. This was foreign, but she loved how she could be vulnerable around you. It felt good to finally show emotion, to finally be herself.

"Is this how Momo felt?" Mina thought to herself.

"As fun as this was, I am extremely late to class. I've only been going here two days and i've already racked up two tardies, so I have to go," You explained.

"I can have my dad remove them," Mina suggested, but it was less of a question and more of a statement.

"Yeah, thank you ," you said before walking out. Just before the door shut, you peeked your head back in and said, "this doesn't mean you're forgiven."

Usually Mina would say something snarky or come up with a new way to humiliate you, but all she could do was smile. There she stayed for the rest of the period, replaying how close to your face she was and how she was able to express herself freely.