23. Awkward Conversations With The Carter's

"You want me to paint your nails, too?" mom asked as she caught me staring at her blood red nails.

I snorted. "No. Why would I want my nails painted?"

Mom sent an amused look. "I don't know. Why don't you tell me why Abby painted your nails last week." She winked at me as she fanned her fingernails.

"Umm..h-how did you k-know?"

"I'm more observant than you think I am."

I stared down at the table.

"What color do you want? Red? Green? Oh, how about blue?" Mom carefully went through the colors in her box of nail polish.

"Uhh, I don't really--"

"Just let me paint your nails, Ethan. They'll look so pretty when I'm done," she swiftly cut me off.

"I guess blue," I said nervously.

She smiled at me as she pulled out a royal blue shade and shook it up. "You and Leo seem to be getting rather close," mom commented as she uncapped the bottle of nail polish.

Should I tell her? I mean it's obvious she probably already knows, but fuck I'm so scared of coming out.

"He's actually my boyfriend," I said quietly.

She took my hand and swiped the cool polish across my nail. She paused and glanced up at me. The look of surprise, or even shock, I expected to be in her eyes, wasn't there. She looked...proud? I couldn't quite tell what the expression in her eyes was, but whatever it was, she looked happy.

"Well, I'm just glad you're happy--"she paused and raised a brow-"you are happy right?" 

I smiled. "Yeah. He makes me really happy. He's so patient, and understanding." I felt a weird tug at my heart. "He's so sweet."

"He definitely seems like a nice boy. I mean the little amount of time I've talked to him, it seems like he really likes you," mom replied with a kind smile.

He is a nice boy. He's amazing.

"Yeah. I really like him too," I murmured as I stared down at the glittery blue paint she was applying to my nails.

"When did you..?" I trailed off, not wanting to say the rest if that sentence. Find out that I was gay..? Well, partially.

Mom sent me an amused look. "Please, Eath. Your father and I have always suspected you were..." she paused like she was searching for the right word. "How do you say? A little...gay?" She sent me a teasing grin as she turned back to my hands.

Is it really that obvious?

"I'm uh...bisexual actually," I mumbled awkwardly, then inwardly cringed that I even told her that.

"I'm not sure what that is," she said as she finished my left hand and started working on the other one. "Can you explain it to me?"

"It means I like boys and girls," I explained.

Mom tilted her head to the side like a confused puppy. "I didn't know that was even possible. I thought it was just gay, or straight," she said astonishedly.

"Yeah, it's possible. There's actually asexual, bisexual, straight, gay, pansexual, transgender..." I trailed off realizing just how much information I'd just blurted out.

After I'd realized that I was bi I did a little research on the whole sexuality spectrum, and boy is it confusing as hell.

"Maybe I should do a little research on this," mom said with a laugh.