Chapter 18.

Alex sat next to Lydia in the dark room of the high school, Lydia was called to help Mason and Corey with her banshee abilities.

Bret was gone missing, Scott Isaac and malia went searching for him with Lori, whilst Alex and Lydia helped his friends.

Isaac was making a habit to steer clear of the healer, knowing a lecture was due about the sudden break up. Although Alex didn't see any tension, In fact it was as If they were the same, just not a couple.

Lydia stared into the blue flame, awaiting to feel the trance hit her. Desperate to find the wolf, they tried the same method used to find stiles in the pet clinic.

"You all right?" Corey whispered to mason.

"Yeah, why?" Mason asked

"Just checkin'." Corey answered

"Quiet! Please." Lydia spoke, almost like a teacher.

"Sorry." They Both apologized

Alex sat quietly, her mind wandering to place of its own. She could never shake the conversation she had with that hellhound, how could she possibly be used. She didn't obtain any special power, she healed people - it really wasn't that big.

"It might if you stop talking." Lydia deadpanned, Alex shook her head.

There was a Newton's cradle on the desk, Corey took a special interest in it. He picked up the small ball and let it drop against the others, quickly stopping the repeating cycle

"Sorry." He quickly apologized

"Oh my god" Alex mumbled, "you two, be still or leave"

They both nodded, it fell silence once again, but this time something happened. Lydia's eyes grew distance, her head moved as each sound grew louder in her ears.

The blue flame blew clear, Lydia began to scribble on the page. It only lasted maybe 15 seconds before she dropped the pencil

"Does anyone speak Chinese?" Mason asked

"It's Chinese. Of course it's Chinese" Alex muttered, it would never be easy for them.

"My phone does" Mason said, he took his phone and scanned the picture "it's a Roman numeral,"

"Sixty-eight." Lydia said

"That's what the Chinese says, too" mason showed us his phone

""E, R." "E, R." "E, R,""

"what?" Corey asked, sounding confused

"Yeah I second that, what the hell are talking about?"

"Erbium. The atomic number for Erbium is 68" lydia explained

"What if this whole thing just says 68" Corey asked

"I have no idea."

"Okay, so what do we try next?" Mason asked.

"I'm going back to where my last premonition was."

The two boys perked up, excited to venture out on the supernatural. Alex was almost envious of their excitement, remembering a rare time before the town drained her empty.

"I'm only taking one person with me" Lydia finished, grabbing Alex's hand, Alex quickly apologised as she was dragged out of the classroom.

Lydia counted along the lockers, she reached 68 with an unusual optimistic response, but just like every other time; she was left with disappointment as she stared into an empty locker.

"We will figure it out okay, this isn't all down to you Lydia" Alex reminded her.

"We will do it together" Alex took her hand, "

Lydia and Alex turned the corner, a teenage boy collided with them.

"Sorry" he apologized

Alex and Lydia Glanced back as he walked way, Lydia recognising the number

"Hey, sixty-eight." Lydia called out, she ran down the hall, stopping him in his tracks "Do you know anything about Brett?"

Alex noticed the tight grip on his arm.

"Who?" He asked

"Lydia I think that you should let go" Alex suggested .

"Brett Talbot. Lacrosse player. What happened to him?" She asked, tightening her grip

" I don't know any Brett." He gulped, shaking his head. His eyes grew with recognition "You're one of them, aren't you?"

"One of who?" Alex stepped forward, noticing a sense of fear in his eyes

The young boy pulled away, Alex gently held his arm "one of what, what's happening?" She asked softly

He blinked, "one of them, the people who can change. Who can heal"

Alex let go of his arm, noticing the pen dripping in blood "what have you done?"

The young boy stared at her with shaking eyes.

"Whether if it, whoever you listened to. They are wrong okay, whatever you think is wrong"

He didn't say anything else, he ran off before he could be questioned further. Knowing he already gave too much away.

"He was scared" Alex turned to Lydia, "but why?"

Lydia's eyes widened, she suddenly realised "My premonition. It wasn't about everyone turning on eachother it was about them turning on us

"Wha- how could they know"

"I don't know" she shrugged lightly, her voice almost shaky.

"Okay we need to call mason and Corey" Alex insisted.

Lydia called Mason, telling them both to meet them outside. Once they regrouped outside the school building, Corey's hand had a healed mark on it. He explained immediately that a boy - the same boy they ran into had stabbed him with his pen, and seen his hand heal almost immediately. He seen it, he knew. That's what he meant when he asked them, but how were people finding out.

"Would've been nice to know before he attacked me" Corey remarked

She shook her head "No, he wasn't trying to hurt you"

"He was trying to expose you." Alex added, "he wanted people to see. If it was just for him he would have done it alone, but he needed others to see it so they'd believe it. It was like some test"

"Well, you definitely failed. It was a geyser, half the library staring. You didn't even have a scratch."

"Yeah, I remember, because it was, like, five minutes ago." Corey snapped, looking sorry seconds later.

"Why would Nolan do that?" Mason asked

"He's afraid." Lydia said

"Of me?" Corey asked

"Of us."

"The supernatural" 

"I thought your premonition was about people turning on each other?" Corey questioned

Lydia sighed "I was wrong. They're gonna turn on us. And I think it's already started."

Alex glanced at her "so how do we win this without them thinking we are the bad ones?"