5 || Edward Rochester

Audio-visual File 978019424176.3

Interview of Sir Edward Rochester, occupant of Thornfield Hall and current owner of prototype android JN-1 model number 0012-CB, as conducted by Brontë Incorporated Head of Analysis John Rivers.

Mr. Rochester unbuttons his stately suit jacket and takes a seat in the chair opposite the digital recording device. His angular face is pinched with what appears to be impatience, and he grooms his tidy hair with a well-manicured hand.

The sound of papers shuffling off camera is heard. Mr. Rochester's eye twitches.

"And, so... Mr. Rochester," comes the voice of Analyst Rivers from off screen. "You were issued the Governess prototype JN-1 0012-CB for conditional use in your home. Is that correct?"

Mr. Rochester huffs and crosses his arms. "You are already privy to such information, are you not? It was Brontë Incorporated, the company with which you are employed, that issued her to me."

"We are merely compiling the facts of the case, Mr. Rochester. All pertinent information must be stated for the official record."

Mr. Rochester glowers at the camera. "Yes. JN-1 0012-CB was issued to me."

"A generous gift, some might say," Analyst Rivers prompts. "Why were you given a prototype android of such next-generation sophistication for your own personal use?"

"I am one of the most prestigious majority shareholders for Brontë Inc, as you well know. Shareholders are often given prototypes to test before they are released to the general public." He looses an irritated sigh. "And I did not 'use' her for personal whimsy of any kind. She was my daughter's tutor. French, arithmetic, grammar, etcetera. I've been searching for a tutor for Adèle for quite some time, but those with essential qualifications rarely wish to live in the house, and androids frighten Adèle. To my understanding, the very core ambition of the 'Governess' android is to create a synthetic so human that most people cannot tell the difference. Adèle could not. She believed, and still believes, Jane to be an organic human being of flesh and blood."

There is a long pause. Finally, Analyst Rivers says: "As do you, it seems."

Mr. Rochester's eye twitches again. "I beg your pardon?"

"You refer to the android as 'her' and 'Jane,' Mr. Rochester. You talk about JN-1 like she's a person you know, rather than a product you own."

Mr. Rochester leans forward on the chair. "She is a person. And I do know her."

"Mm. Yes. Seems you know her very well, if the surveillance footage from your home smart system is to be taken into account."

"You walk a narrow ledge, sir. Do not attempt to bait me. It is that very footage which should serve as irrefutable proof of Jane's value."

"The way she has bonded with your daughter, you mean?" Analyst Rivers clarifies. "Bonded with and protected, correct? As the smart system, called 'Bertha' by your technician, has demonstrated some frightening and even malicious malfunctions."

"Yes, that's correct," Mr. Rochester confirms. He sits back in his seat again, posture ramrod straight. "Bertha has proven a torment."

"Bertha nearly killed you, isn't that right?"

"Set fire to my bed chamber, yes."

"And it was JN-1 who saved you?"

"You have witnessed the footage, sir, have you not?" Mr. Rochester demands. "Then as you have seen, the electric candles in my room ignited of their own accord, the flames growing higher and wilder with each passing second as I slept in blissful ignorance. A flame licked at the velvet tails of my bed's canopy, immediately catching and spreading. Smelling the smoke, Jane came running into my room. Bertha had disengaged the smoke alarm. Were it not for Jane, I would have either never woke due to inhalation, or awakened only to find myself trapped by the conflagration. She roused me from slumber and snuffed out the flames. I'd likely be dead if not for her selfless actions."

"And was it this incident that caused you to fall in love with her?"

Mr. Rochester fixes the unseen Analyst with a cold stare. "You make light of my near demise, sir, but death by fire is a horrible end. My heart was already hers — it was this incident that caused my mind to know it."

"Just like that, hm?"

"How could a man not love the woman who cares for and nurtures his daughter as her own? The woman who matches not only his wit, but his passion and interests? If you think yourself exempt from these wonders, sir, well, I do not envy your hard heart."

"We're not here to talk about me, Mr. Rochester," Analyst Rivers states in his typical monotone. "You're the one who asked for this exemption of policy. So, you loved her. You decided to run. To elope. Correct?"

Mr. Rochester answers through clenched teeth. "Yes. That is correct."

"Was the decision to run made before or after the Governess androids were recalled?"

Glaring at the floor, Mr. Rochester growls, "I do not remember."

"Mmhm. And you are aware that marriage between a human and an android is still illegal in this country?"

"Yes. I'm aware," Mr. Rochester snaps. At his side, his hand forms a fist.

"I see," Analyst Rivers continues. "In conclusion, you left town in possession of recalled Brontë property, with the full intent of entering into an unlawful union, yet you think Brontë Inc. should make an exemption of our Recall Policy so that JN-1 0012-CB can remain with you? Is that correct?"

"Do not refer to Jane as 'property,' damn you!" Mr. Rochester explodes. He wrenches out of his seat and the chair topples to the floor. "Every life she has touched has been improved by her existence. Adèle loves her. I love her! I will not see her decommissioned and used for spare parts!" He advances on the hovering recording device and bats it aside. "Jane is human! She saved my—"

[FEED INTERRUPTED.]

▪︎ ▪︎ ▪︎