39 Six weeks

"Okay my little potato. Let's see how Daddy and your brother are doing," I said to Carson after I had cleaned him up.

With a broad, yet rather tired, smile, I picked my little man up and made my way back to the living room with him in my arms where Roman was still in the process of giving Henry his bottle.

"Isn't he ready yet?" I wanted to know as we sat down next to them.

"No. My boy likes to take his time. I had to wake him up twice." replied Roman with a little chuckle.

"He's a connoisseur. Unlike Carson. For him, things can't go fast enough. No wonder he's gaining a lot of weight fast." I laughed as I slowly cradled Carson in my arms.

"As long as they're both gaining weight and the doctor is happy, he can take as much time as he needs, right Champ?" the proud daddy replied as he watched Henry take the last sips.

"Exactly. All right. You can take Mr. Carson please and I'll freshen Henry up." I said as Ro set the baby's bottle aside and took Carson into his strong arms. 

Immediately Carson cooed at his daddy. That alone was enough to make Roman melt. A big smile spread across his face as he leaned back into the couch cushions with our son. I, meanwhile, took little Henry out of his seat and set out to change him. But on the way he burped so much that he spit on my shirt.

"Oh! Oops... that last one was a bit much, huh, potato? It's okay...let's get you cleaned up and then it's time for you and Carson to take a nap. Then Mama and Daddy can have dinner together." I babbled as I set to work.

"Carson is out like a light." I heard Roman say softly as he walked into the nursery with the sleeping baby.

Carefully, he put him down and swaddled him. By now he had the hang of it. The first couple of tries, it looked pretty wild.

"That's good. I'm sure this little guy won't take long either. Why don't you stay with him and I'll go make us something to eat?" I replied, picking Henry up.

"Sounds good, Mama." said Ro and gave me a quick, but so loving kiss before now trying to get Henry to fall asleep.

Before I went into the kitchen, however, I quickly changed and took the opportunity to quickly throw a load of laundry in the washing machine. I checked my watch and set the timer so that the laundry was ready in the morning. It was hard to believe how much laundry such little creatures could get dirty, but there was nothing you could do about it. In the 6 weeks that the twins were now old, we had developed a pretty good routine. Even though it was still very exhausting, of course.

"How are you, baby girl?" Roman asked me as he suddenly wrapped his arms around me from behind and rested his chin on my shoulder.

I stirred the sauce for the pasta and smiled. With the simplest gestures, this man always managed to create butterflies in my stomach.

"I'm fine. Tired... but fine. How are you?" I asked as I turned in his arms so I could look at him.

"Same. And I'm a little nervous about having to leave you guys alone starting next week. Are you absolutely sure it's okay?" he wanted to know.

"I'm nervous too, but I'm pretty confident that we'll be able to work it out. I'll just do one thing at a time and if I don't get something done, like vacuuming, so be it. That's not important. The boys are important. As long as they're okay and we're okay, everything is going to be alright. Don't worry about it. It's just a few days, Daddy!" I replied, putting my arms around his neck.

I gave him a kiss on the nose and then one on the lips to distract him at least a little bit.

"You know... it's 6 weeks.... And that means..." I said between kisses as they grew more intense.

"Oh I know exactly what that means, Mama..... My wife has the kind of appetite that has nothing to do with food. And I feel... exactly.... the same way..." he rasped as he began to move his full lips over my cheek and then down my neck.

"What do you say we take this opportunity while the boys are asleep?" I asked as my breathing was already turning to gasps.

"I'm already one step ahead of you, baby girl." my husband then groaned and whisked me into his arms, taking me by surprise.

I quickly turned off the stove before clinging to Roman who carried me with quick, long strides to the bedroom. Once there, we spent the time making love and reconnecting as long as the twins were napping.