Dream

Sorry for not being active :')

Inspired by Meteor Shower • Cavetown

Cass POV

  Is this a dream? I wondered. This couldn't be true. It is too good to be true. The ground feels soft.

  Or was it even ground?

  I looked down. It was white and fluffy. Oops. Wrong guess, it was a...

Cloud?

  I dangled my legs to check. Yep, not solid ground alright. The only thing standing between me and what seems to be an endless sky was the cloud. Other than hundreds and thousands of other clouds, perhaps.

  Scientifically, clouds are supposed to be soggy, but this one is an exception. ...and all the other ones.

I looked down. There was nothing but plain sky around me. I tried to see if there was any other object or living thing around me. The darkness of the night did not help.

  "What 'ya lookin' at?" I heard a gentle voice say, followed by the sound of footsteps.

  I whipped my head around sharply. A girl looked at me curiously, and she tilted her head as we made eye contact, her hair covering part of her face.

  I opened my mouth to speak, but no sound came out. She took a seat next to me on the edge of the cloud. I closed it.

  I allowed the awkward silence to stay that way as I swayed my feet repeatedly and tried my best to not look at her direction. As I took a glimpse at her, it seemed that she was doing the same thing, too.

  Was she copying me?

  I decided to test it out.

  I moved my hand. She imitated my exact move.

  I brushed a strand of loose hair behind my ear. She followed.

  I cocked an eyebrow. Same reaction.

  We did this again and again until we burst out laughing.

  I do not know why, I just found it amusing.

  We found it amusing.

  "This place looks deserted."

  "Pretty much."

  "It's boring. Is there anything else to do here, other than watching a forever stagnant night sky that's the only thing surrounding us?"

  "Nope."

  "How about we just stay here for the time being until something interesting happens?"

  "I don't see why nothing."

  It got boring after a while. There was nothing to do except look down and scare the heck out of yourself, look up, left and right. Nothing else.

  I stood up.

  "C'mon, let's see if there's any place other than this cloud-" I stopped abruptly in my tracks and speech when I looked up, noticing something small yet shiny falling towards us.

  I took a few steps back as the thing went bigger. It appeared to be a meteorite. Scared, I froze in my spot.

  Then, something amazing happened. As the meteorite came to eye level, it was monstrous, and soon exploded to a gazillion tiny pieces.

  "Woah," I muttered as the pieces came falling down at light speed.

  I paced further back, my hand groping for something.

  My hand touched something soft. Almost instantly, my heart warmed. I looked down, and immediately flicked my head the other side.

  I was holding someone's hand. Not someone's hand, it was more like the girl's hand.

  We locked eye contact. I blushed for a second before looking away again.

  I released my hand from hers. The tiny pieces looked ablaze with blue light, and somehow did not hit the cloud, as if there was a gigantic shield around it. It was breathtaking. How many chances would I get to see this? Within minutes, it was all over. Somehow, the magic still lingered in the air.

  I sat up, breathing heavily while looking down at my hands. They were black and blue. Had it all been a dream? My surroundings were cold and dark, seemingly almost empty, except for one thing.... a lone shooting star gliding across the night sky. It looked lonely.... almost like as if it was me.