one

"Is Y/N asleep?" The king, Stephen, asked.

"Yes," his wife, Christine, responded as she swam toward him. "I have Wong watching over her."

"Are you sure that you can't just stay with her? I don't like the thought of you coming with me to confront Wanda."

"Stephen, the best chance we have to talk Wanda down is through a mother-to-mother conversation."

The king sighed. "I still don't like it."

"I know." She leaned in and kissed her husband. "I love you."

"I love you too."

Christine noticed how worried her husband was. "We're going to be alright."

"I hope so."

~~~

The couple was swimming toward the meeting point when they were suddenly caught in a swirl of red tendrils. Despite trying to stay beside each other, the red tendrils separated Stephen and Christine from each other.

"Well, well, well," Wanda's dark voice came from behind the couple. Using the magic she had caught them in, Wanda turned them to face her. Her black tentacles kept her afloat as she moved toward them. "I didn't think you'd show up."

"We would do anything to protect our daughter," Christine said. "Just as you would do anything to get your sons back."

"Yes, well, unfortunately, the only way to get my sons back is through your precious little girl."

"You will not touch her," Stephen growled, trying to free himself from the magic.

"You're currently not trying very hard to stop me."

"Wanda, please, listen," Christine pled. "I understand your sadness and want to reunite with your sons, but taking our daughter's power and killing her isn't the answer. There has to be another way."

"There isn't. Your daughter's power is the only way to reunite me with my boys and I will do what I must to take it." Wanda came closer to Christine. "Even kill you."

The sea witch moved her fingers ever so slightly and Christine began to feel like a hand was around her neck, choking her. Both of Christine's hands flew up to her neck as she tried to keep breathing while the sensation tightened around her.

"Stop it!" Stephen yelled. "Let her go!"

Wanda's head whipped toward the king. "I will spare your wife's life for your daughter's," she said with a smirk.

"N-no!" Christine choked out. "Do—Don't!"

"I don't believe you will do that, Wanda," Stephen tried. "You don't want to break a family like yours was broken."

"Don't I?" Wanda questioned, squeezing Christine's neck more. "I told you, Stephen, I will do what I must to reunite my family. Even destroy yours."

Stephen shouted out, his own power blasting through and freeing him. He threw out one of his arms, firing a golden blast at Wanda. Wanda flew back a little, letting her grip on Christine go. The two magic welders continued to fight each other.

"Christine, go!" Stephen ordered.

"Not so fast!" Wanda shouted.

Wanda used her powers to grab a hold of Christine again and threw her toward the surface. Stephen growled as he flung more magic at the sea witch. Wanda cackled as she easily blocked each shot made by the king and continued to move the queen toward the surface. Noticing a large ship in coming, Wanda grinned.

"Say goodbye to your wife, Stephen," Wanda taunted.

She used her magic to tether him to a large rock before focusing back on Christine. Stephen failed to get out of the bindings around his wrists as he saw the ship on the surface drop a net.

"No," he gasped. "NO!"

Stephen was helpless as he watched Wanda use her magic to trap Christine in the net hanging off of the ship. Wanda then conjured up a rock near the surface, perfectly placed to have Christine be squished between the rock and the ship. Much to Stephen's horror, the ship didn't stop.

"CHRISTINE!"

Stephen watched as his wife was pinned between the ship and the rock. His anger fueled his power, helping him free himself. He fired a large amount of magic at Wanda, causing her to cry out in pain. He then swam quickly to try and free his wife from the net she was still caught in.

"This is not over, Strange!" Wanda exclaimed. "We will see each other again and I will have your daughter's power as my own." Then the sea witch disappeared in a puff of red.

Using his power, Stephen cut his wife's limp body free from the net. He cradled Christine close to her as he felt her life slipping.

"Please, Christine, don't leave me," Stephen begged through the oncoming tears. "Please."

"Stephen..." Christine gasped, clearly struggling to stay alive. "I... love you... and Y/N... keep... her... safe..." Her eyes rolled back and she was gone.

~~~

Wong was the one who had to break the news to you that your mother was gone. Five year old you couldn't wrap your head around your mother being gone and why your father couldn't tell you himself. You screamed and cried and fought against Wong as he tried to comfort you. He hated out you called out for your mother and father, though one really couldn't come to your aid.

Stephen was struggling to deal with the situation himself, and couldn't bare to tell you the news. Which is why he had Wong do it. If it couldn't be him, at least it was his most trusted advisor.

Your father avoided you even up until the day of the funeral, held a few days later. You were confused and saddened about everything. Wong tried his best to help you but you stayed silent most of the time, only speaking to ask where your mother or father was. The man helped you get ready for the funeral, doing his best though he really didn't know how to help a little girl get ready. Especially for her mother's funeral. The door to your room opened, pulling Wong's attention to it. Stephen entered, holding a necklace in one of his hands.

"Wong," Stephen said with a nod.

"Your Majesty," Wong responded. He noticed the look in the king's eyes and knew that he wanted a moment with you. "I'll give you two some time alone."

Wong shot you a smile before swimming out the door. Stephen watched you from his spot as you looked down sadly and nervously played with your fingers. He sighed. He didn't know how he was going to raise a daughter without his wife at his side. Especially one with powers no one really understood. Slowly, he headed over to your side.

"I... I have something for you," he told you, holding out his hand to show you the necklace. "It's your—it was your mother's."

Your hands came up to play with the small shark eye shell that hung from the chain. "It's pretty," you whispered.

"May I put it on you?"

You nodded. Stephen moved around you, carefully placing the necklace around your neck and clasping it. Once you knew it was on you, you quickly spun around and wrapped your little arms around your father.

"Thank you," you mumbled as you held onto him tightly.

Stephen moved the two of you so that he could hug you back. "I am so sorry, Y/N," he whispered. "I am so sorry that I couldn't protect your mother. I promise, that I will do everything in my power to protect you. No one will ever be able to hurt you. I promise."