011

I don't even know how Boruto managed to zip the end part of his sleeping bag to the front part of the zipper and the front part to the end zipper. It's a feat that defies logic, and I can't help but burst into laughter, struggling to catch my breath.

"What did you do? I knew you weren't the smartest person out there, but damn," I say, laughing while pointing at the tangled mess.

"HEY, IT'S NOT FUNNY. COME OVER AND HELP ME," Boruto shouts, clearly flustered.

"It looks discombobulated," I say, still laughing.

"SHUT UP, IT ISN'T FUNNY," Boruto yells again. "IF YOU'RE SO GOOD AT IT, WHY DON'T YOU DO IT?"

"Huh," I reply, raising my voice. "You trying to gaslight me into fixing your sleeping bag? Wow!"

"WHAT? I DIDN'T MEAN IT LIKE THAT!"

"You're so mean, Boruto," I say, pretending to be offended. I put my hand on my cheek and then cross my arms, turning my head away from him. "Now I know who to trust and who not to trust, and it's not you, Boruto."

"WELL, I DON'T TRUST YOU EITHER THEN," Boruto retorts, crossing his arms and turning his back on me.

"That's what I thought," I say with a smirk.

Boruto quickly runs to Sarada and the others, who are staring at us, clearly amused by our childish antics. He drops to his knees and starts holding onto Sarada's leg, shaking it dramatically.

"Sarada, please fix my sleeping bag," Boruto cries out, "Y/n's so mean to me!"

"I heard that!" I point at him, trying to sound indignant.

"YOU WERE MEANT TO HEAR THAT," Boruto shouts back.

"That doesn't make it any better," I counter.

"Why am I surrounded by ditzy and flippant people?" Mitsuki comments, his smile giving away his amusement.

"I know, right? It's so annoying, so unflamboyant," I say, playing along as I put my hand to my forehead.

"THAT WAS MEANT TOWARDS YOU, Y/N," Boruto yells.

"Boruto, I'm pretty sure that was meant towards you," I say with a grin.

"HUH, I'M PRETTY SURE—"

"Okay, anyway," I say, cutting Boruto off. "It's currently nine p.m., and we'll head off when the sun comes up, which is around six a.m. because it's summer. Kawaki and I will take the first watch from nine p.m. to eleven fifteen p.m. Boruto will do eleven fifteen p.m. to one thirty a.m., Sarada will do one thirty a.m. to three forty-five a.m., and Mitsuki will do three forty-five a.m. to six a.m."

"Why are you and Kawaki going together?" Sarada asks, her tone hinting at suspicion.

"Because it's Kawaki's first time on a mission like this, and I'm going to supervise him," I reply, pretending to be uninterested. "I thought you'd already know that."

"My bad," Sarada says. Geez, someone's in a mood tonight.

"Well, you guys get some sleep. Kawaki and I will be off to our watch now," I say, turning to leave with Kawaki, wondering what he wants to talk about later. Whatever it is, I hope it doesn't ruin the mission.

──

Kawaki and I are around twenty metres away from the rest of the group when I motion for him to sit down. He gives me a slightly confused look.

"I thought we were doing patrol," He says while sitting down next to me. Both of us leaning on the same tree, just inches away from our bodies touching.