Chapter 5

Did you really think you could come back and everything would be okay?

The snide voice in my head asked. I was exhausted, humiliated and it was 3 am in the morning but my brain refused to let it go. Let records speak that because of the earlier incident, I had thrown up twice to ease my headache and couldn't even think about eating dinner. But now? My hunger was back with a vengeance and all I could think about was how I had not eaten anything since last night. I knew there were leftovers in the fridge because Sara, the housekeeper had left a note on my desk while I was busy emptying my stomach.

I tried to move but my left calf caught a cramp and I jerked with a gasp. These moments were the worst. When the living pain in my body assaulted me with memories of that night and how much I had lost. A cry escaped me and I realised I was only a few minutes away from losing my mind.

Deep breaths, Tala. I reminded myself. I moved a little to the left so that my leg had a more comfortable position and a few minutes later my cramp passed. I lay there feeling empty and lost. My heart felt like there were a thousand thorns piercing me at the same time. I had been avoiding how hard my body was being hit due to everything that I was experiencing. Memories floated through my head without me grasping at anything in particular. Tears leaked out of my eyes, unwilling and hot, and all I could think of was how lonely I felt right now.

This was going to be hard and I knew. Now was not the time back out. Rising from the bed, I wore my dressing gown and moved towards to head to the kitchen. It was peaceful here, during the night, the traffic noise barely reaching inside. The apartment was huge and had an open layout in the centre with the openings to the other rooms in the far corners. Walking through the living room I was once again struck by the beauty of the high ceilings. The far end of the room opened to a terrace beyond which was the skyline of Penha, twinkling in the night. This city was beautiful.

After pausing to take in the view I move towards the kitchen which was on the left corner of the room. There was a dim light switched on and I could see the silhouette of someone hunched over the table. Stumbling through my steps, I realised it was Keir. I could either turn back or feed myself. Unfortunately in this moment my hunger won. The closer I got, I saw that he held a glass in his hand and was absently staring through it. I cleared my throat to get his attention. He looked up and broke into a huge smile. Shit, fuck. His smile. I stopped breathing and was transported back into time.

"You're bloody breathtaking when you smile. Dimples and all. It's fucking unfair that I have to look at your stupid face while being stuck on drinks duty. This was not how I wanted to spend my night."

"How did you want to spend your night?" The major dick standing in front of me asked. There was this split moment of craziness that hit me. I imagined him caressing my hair while he nibbled on the side of my neck. Shit. I was fucked.

"Seriously? That's what you got out of the entire thing?"

He smirked while responding, "Oh baby, there's a lot I picked up from that high praise of my smile but I didn't want to embarrass you by pointing it out. So instead I settled on the part that could benefit the both of us. Spending the night together."

"Woah, there. Get off that high horse you rolled into town on. No one's spending the night together. I guess you missed the part where I said, don't want to look at your stupid face. Also, not your baby, baby. Find a different adult to charm with juvenile nicknames. It won't work on me." I turned to walk away, when he caught my wrist and pulled me to his back and whispered in my ear, "Your sweet smell is so intoxicating, it breaks my train of thought."

"Your sweet smell is so intoxicating, it breaks my train of thought."

Uh what? Did I hear him right? Did he say that? My eyes focus on the present and I realise I have unconsciously moved towards him and we are inches apart. Him sitting on his high bar stool, levelled and staring into my eyes. Guess where I am at? Yep, right between his legs. Fuck, someone kill me now. I close my eyes for a few seconds to break the connection when I feel him sniffing my neck.

"Still fucking sweet. Like berries and sex."

A shiver runs down my spine and I get closer when I'm hit with the smell of...... alcohol? Ah, that explains this. Him being near me and not wanting to kill me. I smile sadly, my heart breaking a little when I take a step back.

"Hi, are you okay?"

"I'll be okay now. You're here. Dusan is here. My family is here."

A sob threatens to rip out of my throat. I have missed Keir. All these years felt like I had a limb ripped off. Being with him was easy. We were friends first, lovers later.

"Yeah, baby. We'll be okay." A small whisper escapes me while I hug him tightly praying that this time will be different.  

आप प्रकाशित भागों के अंत तक पहुँच चुके हैं।

⏰ पिछला अद्यतन: Sep 17, 2022 ⏰

नए भागों की सूचना पाने के लिए इस कहानी को अपनी लाइब्रेरी में जोड़ें!

The Caged Princessजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें