Chapter 9

This morning I woke up feeling a lot better. Partly because me and Lizzie made plans to meet up tomorrow.

Okay, "partly" is putting it mildly.

It's strange how excited I get to see her, when she probably doesn't even think about it. I mean, how many people does she hang out with on a daily basis. A book geek who doesn't even watch TV probably wouldn't be at the top of her list.

I swallow down my negative thoughts and order an Uber to take me to work. They're expensive, but they are very efficient while the subway system is down.

When the Uber arrives at my front door I walk out and take a seat in the back. The driver is a pretty blonde woman, no doubt about that. But for some reason I don't even remotely care about that.

"You seem familiar" she tells me as she looks at me through the rear-view mirror. I give her a confused look back. I haven't been on a date with her, have I?

"I don't know, I grew up in Boston so maybe you've seen me around." I look at the scenery that's changing around me.

"No, that's not it." She says as she's still trying to figure it out. Why is she so hung up on this?

"Wait! I got it. You own that book café on Newbury Street right?"

"Yeah, I do" I say with a smile. "Have you been there?"

"No, but I saw the photos of you and Elizabeth Olsen and they mentioned it in the article."

The smile that decorated my face a second ago is now gone. "Oh. Right."

"So tell me. Are you two dating? I won't tell anyone and am totally cool with lesbians. I even made out with a girl once."

Is this how Europeans feel every time they talk to an American?

"No. We're not. She was a customer and I was helping her find a book."

The rest of the ride consisted of her asking all these questions about Lizzie that I didn't even know the answers to. Oh, how tiring one car ride can be.

As I got to the café, I thanked her for the ride and quickly shut the door behind me. I opened the door with the key and was met with an empty café.

Right. Cally isn't here. It is strange to be met with silence.

I walk to the back to put away my bag and walk over to the storage area to see the opened box of books still standing there. I sigh and pick it up.

As I'm walking to one of the isles, I hear the front door opening. I peak around one of the shelves and see Jessica standing there.

"Oh, hey Jess! You're nice and early."

"Yeah I figured you'd need some help getting ready for the day." She said as she moved to help me with the books.

"Thank you. I'll make sure these books are getting a nice setup. Could you get the front ready? We might need to stock up some items. And prep the food."

"Okay." She nods and hands me one of the books before walking over to the front.

When I'm done, I join her to get the café ready. "I want to run something by you." I tell her.

She raises her eyebrow at me. "What is it?"

"Do you know Hannah? The student that comes by twice a week?"

"The short brunette?" I nod.

"I do know her. She always gets the same order. A cream cheese bagel and a cappuccino." She chuckles.