Chapter 14

"I can't believe he is dead

"I can't believe he is dead. We just saw him a few days ago." your sister broke the silence.

You didn't acknowledge her and just kept staring out of the window, you don't have enough strength to say or do anything. You just talked to him a few days ago and now he's just gone. You're still in denial hoping that this was just some stupid joke, some mistake someone made, that they got the wrong person and that it wasn't him.

"Are you ok?" Your sister asked, concerned.

"Mmm-hmm."

Since you got the invite for the funeral three days ago nothing felt real to you anymore. The funeral was all you could think about, you couldn't sleep, barely ate anything and just locked yourself in your room, wanting to be alone. You didn't cry, you just felt numb, it was all just like a big fever dream.

Your sister suggested that maybe if you're at the funeral, that it would feel more 'real' and that you could maybe deal with his death in a more healthy way. So this is what you're doing right now. You're on the way to the funeral.

"We're here," your sister notified you.

You opened the door and stepped out of the car. The sun welcomed you, warming you up, it's been days since you felt the sun on your skin. A beautiful summer day, it was like the world was trying to taunt you.

You walked into church, but seeing all these people you've never met before, made you feel really out of place.

"Maybe this was a bad idea, we don't belong here," you whispered to your sister. "We should go."

"No you will regret it if we leave," your sister said wrapping an arm around you and

"Are you Demi?" A woman with reddish hair approached you when you walked into the church.

"Yes?" You answered, you never met any of his relatives before, he said they went no contact with him.

"I'm Yuzuha Shiba, Taiju's younger sister, he talked a lot about you. He told me he was really heartbroken, when you two broke up."

"Tsk, sure," your sister scoffed.

"I'm sorry, I know why you broke up with him," Yuzuha confessed, uncomfortable. "I didn't try to justify his behavior, I just..."

"No, it's fine. I know what you meant," you replied.

'What's is wrong with my sister? At his funeral, really?!' you thought.

"I really thought he changed," Yuzuha replied. "I just wanted to give you this letter. It was laying open in his living room. I didn't read it, I just saw your name on it and I thought you might want to have it."

You took the envelope that she was holding and thanked her.

"I need to go check on my brother now, thank you for coming today," she excused herself.