Radon Mitigation Maryland

If you've noticed elevated levels of radon in your Maryland home, you may need to get your home tested and find a radon mitigation Maryland contractor. Radon is a dangerous gas that is found naturally in soil and rocks and can enter your home through small cracks and holes in the foundation wall. This gas is odorless and tasteless, and it can cause lung cancer. The National Environmental Health Association (NEHA) recommends an action level of four pCi/L. If you suspect your home is at risk, you should have the problem remediated by a radon mitigation Maryland contractor.

There are a number of ways to mitigate Radon in Maryland homes. The most effective method involves installing an Active Soil Depressurization system. The design and location of the system will depend on a variety of factors. When choosing a system, you should hire a certified technician like those discussed at https://theworldbusinessnews.com/radon-mitigation-maryland/ and other epa resources. 

Although Maryland does not require radon testing before buying a home, the state does require the installation of radon mitigation before selling a home. This mitigation is inexpensive and simple to do.

Radon is a naturally-occurring radioactive gas that can cause lung cancer

Radon is a naturally-occurring radioactive gas that can cause lung cancer. Radon gas is inert, colorless and odorless. Radon is naturally in the atmosphere in trace amounts. Outdoors, radon disperses rapidly and, generally, is not a health issue. Most radon exposure occurs inside homes, schools and workplaces. Radon gas becomes trapped indoors after it enters buildings through cracks and other holes in the foundation. Indoor radon can be controlled and managed with proven, cost-effective techniques.

Breathing radon over time increases your risk of lung cancer. Radon is the second leading cause of lung cancer in Maryland. Nationally, the EPA estimates that about 21,000 people die each year from radon-related lung cancer. Only smoking causes more lung cancer deaths.

You can take steps to reduce and control the amount of radon in your home. Testing is the only way to determine radon levels. Have your home tested, either by a professional or with a do-it-yourself home test kit. If radon levels are high, contact a certified radon service professional to fix your home. EPA guidance suggests mitigating if levels are at or above 148 Becquerels/meter3 (4 picocuries/liter). Usually, radon problems in Maryland are fixed using an underground ventilation system or by increasing the rate of air changes in the building that can be installed by a Radon Mitigation Maryland specialist