The Boy in the Iceberg - Part 1

Out on the open water, a small canoe bobbed with the beat of the waves. The gentleness of the air was like a lullaby, coaxing one of the boat's passengers to sleep. Water lapping around them, a peaceful—

"It's not getting away from me this time! Watch and learn ladies," Sokka declared as he glanced toward the two girls sharing the boat with him. The eldest of the trio shot up from her sleepy daze, a little guilty for resting while the siblings took the lead on their hunt for fish. But she was so close to falling asleep, a few minutes couldn't hurt, right?

So much for peaceful. Sokka wasn't gonna let that happen.

"This is how you catch a fish."

y/n and Katara shared a look before peeking over the edge of the boat. A fish swimming peacefully below the surface took their attention, leaving the boy performing for himself.

Katara, ever so eager, didn't hesitate when slipping off her gloves. She let out a breath before using her water-bending abilities, scooping the fish out of the water.

"Sokka, look!" The girl exclaimed while controlling an orb of water, the fish still swimming within.

"Shh, Katara, you're gonna scare him away. Mmm, I can already smell it cooking." Of course, her elder brother failed to acknowledge the feat. At least y/n seemed impressed with her catch.

Y/n sighed, growing tired of his dismissiveness. "Sokka, she caught one, you dumbass."

He drew back his spear, too distracted by his hunt to notice what was going on behind him. But y/n knew exactly what was about to happen, backing away. She leaned back into her new seat, ready to view her next source of teasing material. He was about to make a fool of himself, no doubt.

"Hey!" Katara shouted.

The end of his spear ruptured the bubble of water, just as y/n expected. The boy now thoroughly doused in frigid seawater, she couldn't stifle the chuckle that slipped past her lips. Granted, her feet got caught in the crossfire, but Katara was kind enough to use her abilities to dry them off.

"Why is it that every time you play with magic water, I get soaked?" he complained still dripping wet. It seemed only fair he suffered for his crimes.

"It's not magic. It's waterbending. And it's..." Katara started.

Sokka cut her off, "Yeah, yeah – an ancient art unique to our culture, blah, blah, blah... Look I'm just saying that if I had weird powers, I'd keep my weirdness to myself."

"You're calling her weird?" Y/n commented, still leaning back as comfortably as one could on a wooden dinghy. "She's not the one who makes muscles at herself every time she sees her reflection in the water."

Making muscles at his mirror image topping the frigid water below, she sighed. Y/n wouldn't have been able to stop herself from rolling her eyes if she were dead. Upset by the taunt and disappointed that she wasn't impressed by him, Sokka glared the eldest down.

Katara, while holding her tongue, slipped her gloves back on. She too couldn't stand her brother's vanity and was surprised he was still trying that shtick. She thought he'd understood by now that his 'muscles' would never impress y/n, no matter how obvious he flaunted them. Oftentimes, Katara had to question if he was actually older than her because he certainly never acted like it.

A sudden jolt to the boat knocked the three into reality. A current caught the canoe, pulling it further into the landscape, picking up speed at an alarming rate. Sokka grabbed a paddle, in an attempt to steer through the terrain ahead of them. Ahead, two icy masses were creeping closer to each other, and their small boat was headed straight toward it.