Chapter 43

The Hurt Locket

With enough time, we all find what we were looking for. Even if its been there all along.

"Oh so you are alive?" Anna questioned as Chuck finally answered her call as she walked into the penthouse in the Empire.

"Of course I am." Chuck replied as he exited the jewelry store onto the busy streets of New York.

"So you must be in the hospital then or why did you miss lunch?" Anna asked as she dropped her purse on the counter before walking over to grab a bottle of water from the fridge.

"I just gave you more time to get ready for dinner with the French ambassador tomorrow night." Chuck said with a smile.

"Oh haha." The Hawthrone girl rolled her eyes in reply as she sat down on the couch.

As she did, Anna spotted a file sticking out behind today's newspaper which read Andrew Tate Investigators. Anna pulled it out to see a picture of a locket that had a picture of Bart inside of it.

"So why did you miss lunch?" Anna questioned as she continued to stare at the picture.

"I'm trying to meet someone who schedule is even more unpredictable than ours. I'll see you tonight." Chuck said before hanging up.

Anna took one last look at the picture before grabbing her phone from her purse and snapping a picture of it so she could try and figure it out on the way to her next meeting.

"Hey Anna." Nate spoke as he got off the elevator as the Hawthorne girl was heading towards it.

"Hi Nate. Bye Nate." Anna replied as she stepped onto the elevator before the doors closed.

—————

"You look beautiful

"You look beautiful." Chuck said as he stepped into the Empire penthouse to find Anna dressed and ready for tonight's dinner with the French Ambassador.

"And you look far from ready. We're supposed to leave 5 minutes ago." Anna replied as Chuck placed a kiss on her cheek.

"Change of plans." Chuck spoke stepping back slightly.

"You're going to leave me to sweet talk all those foreign company heads all by myself? Is this about that woman? The one from your father's grave?" Anna wondered.

"You read the file. Then you know why I'm doing this. She knew my mother's favorite flower. She had a picture of my father in a locket and she knew me." Chuck explained pointing to himself with his final words.