XX: I'M SORRY

Evelyn sat in bed with her thoughts, contemplating if she should be mad at everyone, or no one, or everything. Before she could make her decision, the door swung open, revealing a stressed Brady.

He had a bruise on his cheek and his head, obviously in much better condition than Evelyn, who was bruised and cut on most inches of her face and the rest of her body.

"Oh my God," Brady said, taking a seat next to Evelyn, "I'm so sorry. I was so stupid. You always warned me about my driving, and so did everyone else, and I didn't listen, and now you're hurt, and-"

"Brady," Evelyn said, "It's okay. It wasn't your fault. I mean, you do drive like a maniac, and I want you to stop, but this was Joel."

"I thought Joel was gone."

"He is. Now. He drugged me, and put some weird note on my car. Now he's in jail. It was Tristan who sent him there, though. So, I guess Joel kind of got the last laugh."

"God, he is such a psycho. I didn't know people like that actually existed outside of movies. I really am sorry, though," Brady gently cupped Evelyn's face with his hand, tracking his thumb over one of her cuts. She still looked so beautiful. "I love you," he whispered.

"I love you, too. Don't worry about me. Are you okay?"

"Yeah, but my car's not. Who cares about that, though? I'm just glad you're okay, really. How are you feeling, now?"

"Well, it hurts to move pretty much everywhere. If they've put me on pain killers, they haven't worked. I think my brains still a little messed up from whatever DIY drug Joel gave me. But I'm okay, I think. You're here, now. Joel can't hurt us anymore."

"You're right, and I'm sorry I let him get this close to... you know."

"I know. But he'll never get this close again."

Evelyn had to spend a night in the hospital, which Brady spent with her

Evelyn had to spend a night in the hospital, which Brady spent with her. Whether it was because if he was stressed, or because the chair he was in was uncomfortable, he barely slept.

Evelyn had forgiven him. The crash was Joel's fault. Both of them were okay, and Joel was in jail. He still felt awful. He'd crashed into his own girlfriend. If that wasn't breakup material, he didn't know what was.

He stared down at Evelyn. She seemed so hurt, and he'd hurt her. Even if it was Joel who'd drugged her, who'd left that note for her to be distracted by, it was Brady who crashed into her.

If he would have called her dad instead of jumping to conclusions, he wouldn't have even been on his way to her house. If he would have drove like a normal person, he'd have time to stop.

He pulled out his phone and sent her a text, looking over at the table when it lit up with a simple 'I'm sorry'. He then left the hospital, checking out quickly before walking home. But he didn't go home.

It was raining, a lot. The beach looked pretty in the rain. In an odd way, it reminded him of Evelyn. Something bright and happy, but mixed with something dark and, sometimes, sad, but still beautiful.

He walked down the steps towards the beach. The sun was meant to rise soon. He didn't sit down, the sand was too wet, but he stood near the water, letting it go over his shoes.

"Brady?" He heard a voice behind him say, turning around to see Aria. "What are you doing? It's one am."

"I could ask you the same question," Brady said.

"I got bored, couldn't sleep. Aren't you meant to be staying with Evelyn?"

"I got bored, couldn't sleep."

Aria laughed. "Seriously, though. Are you okay? You seem really out of it."

"Honestly, I am. This doesn't feel real. At all. I just feel so guilty. Evelyn looks so sad. Most of her face is cut or bruised and it was because of me. I know it was technically Joel's fault, but I can't help but blame myself."

Aria placed a reassuring hand on Brady's arm. "I know how that feels, kind of. When Tristan and my dad had that fight, I blamed myself for Tristan being hurt. I knew it was my dads fault, but I'm the one who told Tristan about my dad, and I didn't jump in to stop the fight. I know that a fight isn't as extreme as a car crash, but I know what it's like to feel guilty about something that wasn't your fault."

"I know you're trying to help, but it's not working. You didn't physically hurt Tristan. I literally crashed my car into Evelyn. If the paramedics wouldn't have got there, she could have died because I drove too fucking fast."

"Brady, that's not why it happened. Joel-"

"We can't just blame Joel every time something bad happens to Evelyn, Aria! This was fucking me! I was driving that car too fast, I wasn't focused on the road! I was worried about Evelyn being hurt, and I let that consume me until I was the one that hurt her. You don't get it. Your dad punched your boyfriend a few times, that's nothing compared to me almost killing my fucking girlfriend! Don't pretend like you understand me just to make me feel better. Nothing is gonna make me feel better, Aria! Evelyn almost died, and now I've lost her."

Aria wanted to be upset about Brady yelling, but she was caught off guard by his last sentence. "Wait, Brady, did Evelyn break up with you?"

"No, but I need to break up with her. She didn't seem to have any problems until she got with me. Other than ones from years ago. I'm not good for her."

"Brady, what? You're perfect for her. The way you protected her from Joel, and-"

"That's the thing. I didn't protect her from Joel. He still drugged her, and left that stupid fucking note."

"But you tried. That's what matters. It's not about what you can and can't do. You're eighteen, Brady. It's about what you want to do. And what you say."

"You're not changing my mind."

"Okay, fine. Ruin your life. I won't try and talk you out of it anymore."

Aria began to walk away, as Brady spoke up one more time, "I'd ruin my life over and over if it's protecting Eve."

Aria turned around, smiling, "I know."