Chapter 3: Blue-Eyed Stranger

L I L Y

— I trip over my foot and lose my balance, sending the cake box flying open. I loudly gasp and scream, grabbing the attention when I feel arms around my waist. I flutter my eyes wide open only to see tousled brown hair over a pair of blue eyes gleaming at me. 

My breath hitches as I find myself under his blue gaze, reminding me of the calm vibrant deep azure ocean, and I find myself drowning until cake frosting dripping on his face catches my attention, and my eyes widen in shock.

Lost my rationality for a brief moment, I burst into a laugh. He raises his frosting-covered eyebrow, and I chuckle more when he mouths, "What?"

"Is something funny?" he asks sternly.

Uh-oh! 

I blink and force myself to stop because I know I have screwed up. 

"Oh, no! It wasn't my intention—" I stutter. 

As the reality sinks, I grow ashamed and pull away from the man. He straightens up, and I apologetically clear my throat and scamper toward the counter. Zara glances up at me when I grab a couple of tissues and rush back to him. Then, remorsefully, I shudder under his gaze and apologize, "I'm sorry. I tripped over, and that happened." 

I skim the frosting off his expensive tailored grey suit that I can't afford this lifetime.

I lean in to skim the frosting off his head as I note his chiselled jaw and deep oceanic blue downturned eyes, and ooo, he has such soft hair. I shake my head and focus on making amend for my blunder, burning red under his silent, intense gaze when somebody interrupts, "Oh, my dear Lord, what happened here?"

I freeze on my spot with my hand lingering on his face.

"Linda!?" Zara says.

His eyelids flutter when I think he looks at me for a brief moment and smiles. 

I almost become blind at how dazzling his smile is. 

Linda steps in and continues, "Your clothes got ruined, sir. It's Armani. I apologize for such trouble, Mr Alexander." So I forced myself to move aside with my head bowed in shame and anxiously gnawed my bottom lip. 

How can I screw this up? 

Linda has always been sweet to us, but I am making her apologize for something I did.

"Oh, that's okay! Such things happen in life. What's the twist in it!?" the man chuckles when Linda sighs and asks, "Is there something to do, sir?"

"Well, the cake—" he says, and I shut my eyes and taste metallic, continuously nibbling my lip. "— got ruined, so I guess we cannot do anything about that now."

Linda coughs up and states, "Oh, we can do something about that, can't we, Lily?"

It might sound like a polite request, but it's a warning in my ears.

I step up and shudder to find everyone looking over at me. I lock my eyes with the man and then clear my throat, "If you don't mind, sir, give me a day. I'll make another cake and deliver it to you myself."

"Huh?"

I straighten up, clasp my hands and plead, "Please, sir, this is the least I could do to make up for my fault." 

He ponders and then communicates, "Well, if you say so, but the event is this weekend. I don't think anyone can—" when I interrupt him and determinedly say, "Sir, I promise you all I need is a day to prepare the same cake with no compromising with the quality and taste."