CHAPTER 1

In the year 2138 AD there was a term: DMMO-RPG

This word was an acronym for "Dive Massive Multiplayer Online Role-Playing Game", a form of gaming that was played by connecting a dedicated console to the brain via neuronal nano-interface -- a complex nano-computer network created from the fusion of cyber -and nano- technology.

Games such as these allowed one to enter a virtual world, experiencing it as though it were the real world, and among the myriad of DMMO-RPGs created existed one that stood head and shoulders above the others:

That game was Yggdrasil.

Released in 2126, Yggdrasil was a unique DMMO-RPG due to its innate focus on "Player Freedom". This alone caused millions of people to give it a try, their minds utterly blown by the lack of restrictions when developing their ideal character build.

It had over 2000 basic and advanced job classes.

Every class had a maximum of 15 levels, and so in order to reach the overall level cap of 100, one needed to take at least 7 different classes. However, players could take as many classes as they wanted as long as they met each class' prerequisites. A player could even take 100 classes at level 1 each, although that was very inefficient.

As such, in Yggdrasil, it was virtually impossible to make identical characters unless one was deliberately trying to do so. This was only made more apparent with the use of various creator tools (sold separately) to fully customise one's armour, weaponry, flavour text, appearance, and other cosmetic settings.

Before a player could start their journey through Yggdrasil, they first had to pick from one of nine worlds in total: Asgard, Alfheim, Vanaheim, Nidavellir, Midgard, Jotunheim, Niflheim, Helheim, and Muspelheim.

It boasted a massive world, numerous classes, and freely customisable appearances. These features worked in unison to ignite the creative spirits of its Japanese players, and sparked what would later be known as, a stylistic revolution. So popular was it that whenever the word "DMMO-RPG" was mentioned in Japan, listeners would immediately think of Yggdrasil.

--Still, all these were things of the past now.

o  o  o

An expansive forest consisting of lifelike greenery surrounded an empty plain, a total of three gargantuan mountains standing proudly in the distance. If one took a closer look at these rocky formations, they would clearly see a strange entity leaning upon their jagged tips while ruffling loudly.

Upon further inspection, the entity was revealed to be a towering [Ancient White Dragon]. Its body seemed to cover all three mountain tops with its sheer size and length. One could guess how powerful this beautiful creature was just by its size alone, not taking into account the numerous riches that decorated its scaled physique.

The Dragon was bedecked in magnificent, golden, sparkling armour that concealed very little of its marbleised form. One could even see spots of gold and [Soul-Diamond Gems] edging along the lizard's wings and tail, something often not seen from other -albeit, more prideful- iterations of its kind.

However, all of these riches paled in comparison to the headpiece. Points of dazzling crystal and shown within its golden crown, the ornament seeming to reach the length of an entire house. These qualities were all but uplifted by the points of dark red that glowed in its bloodied orbs, and from the snout glowed a haze of colourful magic.

 These qualities were all but uplifted by the points of dark red that glowed in its bloodied orbs, and from the snout glowed a haze of colourful magic