| 00 |: World to Come

In the middle of a perpetual desert proudly stood an ancient palace sparkling with the monarch's wealth. The archway behind the throne allowed the light of Teyvat to filter inside, crowning the king's seat with a pair of parhelions. The god that had requested an audience with the ruling deity of the desert's treasure promptly lowered herself on one knee as she bowed her head.

"High King Ea, please grant Sumeru your protection," she implored.

"I refuse."

Rukkhadevata flinched at your curt answer. While she did step into Gilgamesh Palace expecting your rejection, the fact that you had answered her without a moment's hesitation still took her by surprise. Daring herself to lift her head, she met your condescending gaze as you sat upon your gold throne that was built from your bloody reign, with your trusted guards - Shamash and Ereshkigal - flanking your sides.

Shamash immediately assumed a battle stance with his staff. "How impudent! You dare to raise your head-"

"Shamash, do not make any unnecessary comments!" you bellowed, effectively pacifying him. He quickly bowed in your direction.

"Forgive me, Your Highness!"

"(Y/n)," Rukkhadevata began, calling you by your real name this time, "even with the bountiful treasures that I have offered to you and me kneeling, you still won't accept my only request? Do I have to go as far as making my forehead touch your feet?"

You tapped your fingers on the armrest as you hummed pensively. "What exactly will I gain from defending a territory that is not my own?" When the Dendro Archon didn't give you an answer fast enough, you leaned forward with your elbows atop your knees. "Have you forgotten that I am High King Ea, Guardian of Ka-dingirra? It is my eternal duty to defend this land."

"I-"

You cut her off with a dismissive wave of your hand.

"Enough. This is a complete waste of time," you murmured, holding your hand out towards Ereshkigal who then handed you a clay tablet, "Shamash, escort Greater Lord Rukkhadevata to Ishtar Gate."

"I will do as you say," Shamash said. As your guard escorted the dispirited Dendro Archon out of the palace, you subtly beckoned to Ereshkigal and lifted the clay tablet slightly to cover your face. When she leaned towards you, you tilted your head in her direction.

"Infiltrate Sumeru's military and pose as one of their soldiers. If the city is in danger, report back to me immediately," you ordered in a hushed whisper. She looked surprised upon hearing your words.

"If I may be so bold to inquire, are you actually going to step in as regent when the Dendro Archon disappears?" she questioned, knitting her eyebrows together.

"The God of Woods is destined to perish during the Cataclysm, and her death will act as a catalyst for the new god's birth. She'll be too young to lead a nation that has lost its god in the upcoming catastrophe," you solemnly replied, "and will subsequently live a life of seclusion until another shooting star illuminates the sky."

Ereshkigal took a step back and then knelt down before you with one arm crossed over her chest.

"You have bestowed esoteric knowledge upon the people of Ka-dingirra, and your visions have shaped the reality we are witnessing today. This servant has received your orders and will see them through," she said, raising her head with a confident smile, "If it is truly your wish, then I will watch over Sumeru's safety for you."

You nodded at her whilst lowering the clay tablet on your lap. "Wonderful, as expected of my guard. Now go. We don't know when exactly Rukkhadevata will disappear, and we must be prepared to fight against the forces of the Abyss."

"I'll get ready immediately."

As Ereshkigal left Gilgamesh Palace to make the necessary preparations for her undercover mission, your courtier, Enki, stepped towards you with another clay tablet for you to review. With a muted sigh, you took it from his hands and tried to read what was written on it, only for your expression to turn completely blank. The tablet Enki had given you was a report about some materials, but you didn't understand much of it.

It's been roughly a year since the establishment of Ka-dingirra. You lack the knowledge to lead a governing body, and it's quite impossible for a university student like you to run an entire country - even though Enki is always there to help you. You would have asked him or your ministers for more guidance if they weren't so obsessed with the delusion that you're some supreme being with unfathomable wisdom, and their intelligence only made it harder for you to be honest with them.

Enki noticed the way your eyebrows furrowed and worriedly asked, "Is something the matter, Your Highness?"

"N-no, it's nothing," you quickly replied, "I was just preoccupied with something else."

"Is it concerning the Sumerians?"

You didn't answer him.

Although the Sumerians are not your people, you didn't have the heart to leave them defenceless as you too, were once human like them.

...

Before you came to Teyvat and were forced to establish your own territory to survive the Archon War, you were an ordinary human back in your world.

As the hands of time rotated in a full circle, the God of Woods perished during the Cataclysm - and as you had predicted, a new god was born to replace her.

The God of Wisdom, also known as the Lesser Lord Kusanali.

Her gnosis was promptly taken away by the arrogant scholars who deemed her unfit to be the Dendro Archon, and she was instead made the nominal leader of Sumeru. Those same scholars then came knocking on Ishtar Gate, imploring that you protect Sumeru from the darkness of the Abyss in exchange for the new Dendro Archon's gnosis.

Enki urged you to accept the deal as it would mean that you'll gain more power at the same time Ereshkigal returned with the report that a large group of unknown enemies are approaching Sumeru quickly. With the sands of time descending upon you, you decided to set the deal aside for later consideration and declared Sumeru as Ka-dingirra's vassal state; at least, until the darkness that had spewed forth as a result of Khaenri'ah's destruction has been quelled.

You stood on top of the protective walls you had summoned around Sumeru with a multitude of portals glowing above you in the firmament, ready to rain countless chains upon the malevolent invaders. When the first wave came into view, you immediately extended a hand, prompting golden spearheads attached to chains to emerge from the portals.

As your eyes glowed, you exclaimed, "Nergal, let us restrain misfortune's fury!"