| 06 |: Hanging On

The sounds of war were all that you hear - the cries of the warriors, the clash of their weapons, and the explosions of Ka-dingirra's dingir cannons... With smoke rising to the sky like grey pillars, Sumeru had become a hell above the ground. You did everything you could to protect Rukkhadevata's and Deshret's people, and even spared some of Ka-dingirra's technologically advanced weapons for Sumeru's militia to use.

"Defeat the monsters! It's one more push before their front line crumbles!" Shamash barked out orders to the sukkals - the soldiers of Ka-dingirra - under his command. The Eleven Generals of Tiamat had all been stationed on the perimeter of Sumeru as the first line of defence; they were supposed to be the impregnable defence, yet the presence of the abyssal monsters in Sumeru told you of their fates. When Ereshkigal reappeared before you, kneeling with her head bowed, you knew that she was keeping her gaze low not out of reverence, but out of despair of what had befallen your precious generals.

"Raise your head," you said without looking at her trembling form, "and don't be afraid to tell me what happened. Relaying accurate information is vital in reducing the casualties as much as possible."

The grief of losing something was no longer foreign to you.

So why does your heart ache when you think about the lost lives of your generals?

With the combined efforts of Ka-dingirra's and Sumeru's militias, you were able to eliminate most of the monsters that were threatening the nation, pushing the front line back to where it began. As the sun disappeared below the horizon, the birds returned to their nests and the creatures of nocturne roused from their daytime slumber. However, the soldiers were given no moment of respite from the war that had blackened the sky while the civilians remained in their homes, shackled by fear.

After personally seeing to the wounded, Enki exited from the medical tent and roamed the camp in search for you. He scrutinised the area, hoping to see your familiar face - but all he saw were the haggard faces of the soldiers who had either been pushed to or were close to reaching their limits. He quickly stopped a passing soldier and questioned your whereabouts.

"I saw the King walking towards Avidya Forest," the soldier answered, pointing in the direction he saw you leave in, "When I asked her what she's planning to do there, she told me that she wants to check on the flora of the forest."

Enki's gaze saddened when he realised your purpose of being there. "I see... Thank you."

As you stood by a tree near Gandharva Ville, you quietly observed a small family of fennec fox hybrids, their large ears and bushy tails reminding you of a certain general who once served you with utmost devotion. The only difference between them is the colour of their fur; while his was light green and white, theirs is dark green and black.

"It seems that General Kingu was able to leave some descendants behind."

You turned your head just as Enki stepped forward to stand next to you, his gaze focused on the family you were observing.

"The colour of their fur is darker," he remarked with a slight smile, "They must have evolved to live in the forest."

"Yeah," was all you said.

Enki could tell that you weren't really paying attention to him or the hybrids; the faraway look in your eyes wordlessly told him where your mind was.

"Master, is something on your mind?"

His question finally drew you out of your thoughts, and you blinked at him, eyes wide. "Is it obvious that something is bothering me?"

"It's clear as day, at least to me."