Chapter 56

________________

Kia's Point of View

________________

Change was thick in the air, almost like a smoke, wrapping around us and daring us both to give it a taste. Niall was moving closer, as if he wanted nothing more than to inhale it deep into his lungs. Tense with sexual frustration and anger, Niall slowly slouched down next to me, folding his arms across his chest and looking away from me, I did the same. I huffed out a loud sigh, keeping my eyes on the window, hoping that it wouldn't start fogging up from how heavy I was breathing just from him sitting next me.

I unfolded my arms and tried to place them down without touching him, but my arms kept brushing against his, and every time it did, I felt a spark, a running bolt of electricity just go through me. Touching Niall now was like licking a battery to see if it still had charge in it, the sensation sent a tingle through me. It gave me a feeling that was both frightening and pleasant at the same time.

I noticed him looking at me again, out of the corner of my eye. That stupid boy was able to make me squirm in my seat every time his arm brushed against mine, even if it barely touched me. Niall dropped his arms the way I had before, our arms had full contact now, pressing tightly together, I couldn't help but squeeze my eyes shut for a second, I hope he didn't notice that. Niall somewhat returned to his cool nature, licking his lips and resting his head back against the headrest. He was slightly tilting his face toward mine. I looked back at him slowly, my eyes betrayed me, as I slowly shifted from his lips, moving up to his eyes at a torturous speed. Those gorgeous blue eyes, they make me melt every time, I couldn't tell you how many times I have gotten lost in them. In my head, I secretly wished he would grab onto my chin, yanking my mouth up to his, but I knew that was just wishful thinking, that it would never happen because at the end of the day he wouldn't make that move, at the end of the day I wasn't Barbara and I'll never be her.

My eyes were locked with his now, our stare was so intense and real that it scared me. I don't understand this pull he has on me, this unspoken tug of war we have going on has kept me up for months, just lying awake asking god to just give me a reason. Any explanation as to why in the middle of the night I reach out for someone who's not there and will never be there.

It took everything in my body to pull my eyes away from him after a long moment, looking back toward my window, seeing the fog that covered it from all the heavy breathing going on. I was getting restless, I needed air and I needed it fast. We still hadn't arrived at the hotel, and in an attempt to keep my cool I quickly shifted to reach for my clutch. I opened it and fiddled with one of the last memories I had, the last piece I kept of what was part of our forever.

Niall sat up slightly, for a second watching me fiddle with my bag before I slowly dropped my hands back onto my lap. Pressing my fingers against my bare knee, I felt his own fingers twitch a bit, he slightly moved them over carefully, allowing just his fingertips touch the skin of my outer thigh. I tried my hardest not to move at all, I didn't even blink. I felt him moved them up slowly, his fingertips grazing just barely against my skin as he moved them up along my thigh.

My breathing got heavier, it even slightly hitched, it was obvious he noticed. I decided to just play it cool and lightly shut my eyes. I may not have acknowledged what was going on but I also did nothing that told him I didn't like it or that I wanted him to stop. So he continued and my mind was telling me to stop, but I couldn't, the amount of alcohol that was in my system helped me drain out my better judgement. My legs parted slightly at his touch, he fought a smirk as he trailed his fingers down toward my inner thigh now, pressing into my skin more so I knew he was there. I could feel the burn of his touch long after his fingers were gone. My face began to tilt toward his, lips parted just slightly as my eyes moved up from his mouth to his eyes, staring into them. His fingers danced along my inner thigh, rubbing my warm, soft skin as he dared to dip his fingers further up my dress.