jj

warnings: canon typical violence, very brief mention of r*pe
canon episode - season 9 ep 14 - 200

February 2014

It was just a regular day at work, paperwork filling your time and you were sitting with Emily in her office as you worked. It was a comfortable silence with occasional conversations on notes of the files you were working through until Emily's phone rang across the room.

"This is Prentiss." She answered and your head shot up at what she said next. "Hotch, what's wrong?" She looked to you with a look of concern, nodding when you silently asked if you should gather your bags to go. "Debrief us on the plane, we're on our way."

"Em, what is it?" You questioned her, handing her her bag as you hurriedly made your way out of the office.

"It's JJ. Something about her time at the Pentagon, I don't know more than that." She returned, squeezing your hand as you stepped into the elevator, you could only nod in response, crippled with concern for your best friend.

Before long you were sitting beside each other on the jet with the rest of the BAU on a screen ahead of you.

"According to Interpol data, Askari is as bad as they get. Highly educated member of the Republican Guard caught torturing POWs off the clock for fun. I'm sending you his profile now." Emily spoke as your jaw clenched looking over the files, at his photo.

"So this is who has JJ." Penelope muttered sadly.

You tuned their conversation out as you flicked through information, nervously bouncing your leg beneath the table. Emily threw you a small reassuring smile as she placed her hand on your knee.

"Guys, I may have two more victims we can attribute to Askari. Savin Mubari and his wife Nadia. He was a known confidant to bin Laden's - both were at the camp where JJ worked." You informed them.

"Then JJ would have been assigned to interrogate Nadia. Do we know what happened to her?"

"M.O. matches all of Askari's victims except for one thing. She was raped." Emily added.

"So what was different about her?"

"Maybe she lasted the longest. If his ritual dictates a specific timeline, any new aspect would fall later in his routine."

"So the longer JJ holds out, the greater the likelihood that'll happen to her." You uttered, feeling nauseous at the thought.

"So how much time does JJ have?" Penelope asked you.

"A few hours."

You clicked off the call with the others for the time being, anxiously picking at the skin of your thumb until Emily entwined her hand with yours.

"We'll find her, she'll be okay."

"I know, we're the best - that's why they called us after all." You retorted and she smiled with a huff of a laugh at your deflection with humour. Still to this day you could never face serious conversations without awkwardly trying to joke your way through the situation, any type of deflection to avoid your true feelings. But she knew you well enough to see how scared you are.

"Yes, we are."

"So, you saw JJ during this time with the whole fake death, jet ride to Paris thing. Did she say anything maybe? Anything at all that could help?"

"We were talking about the brand that Doyle left on me, how it marked me as his - a stronger pain than the stake. She said I'd overcome death and it was the ultimate victory over my foe. She said I could just get another tattoo over it." She smiled, subconsciously touching where the tattoo sat over her pale scar.