Chapter 27

It was almost suspicious how often we ran into each other after that. Sometimes, it was a coincidence. He'd be at the Senate on business when we crossed paths, and all there was time for was a quick hello. Bail was happy to see a face that wasn't combating him on the Senate floor, while I was reassured by the visible proof he was alive and well.

Then, there were other situations. The most jarring kind sprouted from Ahsoka's trips to the Order. She was a commander, so she couldn't avoid the occasional mission. I just figured her replacement would be a set of Senate guards. Instead, I got a charming negotiator Jedi.

Today was another one of those days.

"Good morning," Obi-wan dipped his head when we arrived at the office.

"You're an early riser Master Kenobi," Bail hummed, walking to his desk.

"Not as early as Lenor," he answered graciously. It'd become a habit for him to wait inside with her since she was always first to arrive.

She smirked from behind her holoscreen. "You're good company."

"We must seem lazy by comparison," Bail said.

"I'm bound to disagree," Obi-wan answered.

"While I am not," Lenor said, swiveling in her chair to eye him, "our meeting with the Banking Clan is in 20 minutes."

"They're late risers too. Every meeting we've had, I end up waiting in a chair," Bail sighed.

I moved to my desk too, my gaze drawing to Obi-wan's figure. He was in armour again, the republic insignia etched into his shoulders more rusted red than crimson. His gaze swept to mine, as if sensing the look.

I offered a smile. "How was your trip to Geonosis?"

"As eventful as expected."

"So there was a battle then?"

"Of course."

Bail's expression piqued with interest. "I've heard the news. You took down a droid factory base with Master Unduli."

My eyes rounded, but Obi-wan was all modesty. "It was a smooth operation."

I huffed quietly, settling into my chair. "At least you're still in one piece."

He caught my words, a hint of a smile tugging on his lips. "Will you be joining the meeting?"

"Oh no, I've got my share of work here."

"And it's about to get bigger." Lenor came over, a freshly printed report in her hands, "this needs its edits and review done by the end of the day."

I glanced at the front page. "Didn't I–"

"Go through it already?" She sighed goodnaturedly. "They sent it back with more amendment requests. I've crossed out everything ridiculous."

I gave her a grateful smile. "Thanks."

Grabbing some items from his desk, Bail followed her towards the door. "Tetralis will come in once he has that revised proposal draft done, but don't let him send it off. I want to give it another look."

"I'll let him know," I called after them, "good luck."

The door swung shut, engulfing the room in silence. "It sounds like you've been busy here," Obi-wan mused.

"It's not so bad," I said, booting up my holoscreen.

"Anything I can help with?"

My brows arched. "You really want to add more to your plate?"