III ~ Carnegie Mellon.

I blinked my eyes slowly as I tried to adjust them to the bright light that was shrouding my face. I rolled over to the other side, backing the window, and fully pried my eyes open.

Touching my bedside table, I tried locating my phone and quickly felt the cold metal. I grabbed it and pressed the 'on' button. Luckily for me, I had reduced the brightness the night before and thereby evaded a second bout of blindness.

"Shoot!"

The time read 7:32 am.

I had slept way in and would soon be running late. I quickly threw the covers off my body and rushed out of my room to the bathroom to take a hurried shower.

Once I was done, I wore the outfit I had imagined in my head yesterday.

A grin hit my face as I stared at my reflection in the mirror. The joy I felt when what I'd planned out in my head actually looked good in real life.

I heard two knocks on my door before it opened. "Luna. Are you ready? We have to leave now," Mom said to me, smiling as she eyed my fully dressed form.

"Yeah. I just need to grab my purse and I'll be out." She nodded and closed the door.

Today is the day Mom and I check out the school I'll be attending this winter. We had a tour scheduled for today, and as much as I wouldn't like to admit it, I was a little excited. Just a little.

Musical Theater.

My dream ever since I was a little girl has been to star in musicals. I grew up watching musicals, and I starred in every play I could right from elementary school up until high school, along with my theater/drama friends.

Singing, dancing, and acting- these always brought me inexplicable happiness. Now doing all three on stage, professionally, that made me nervous, in a really good way.

That was the only thing I looked forward to while moving here. Mom said they have really great facilities and renowned professors for my course. She also mentioned that the school was a place where I could make really strong connections to get into the industry.

It's a private school, so the number of people who enroll here is fewer than in public universities. Only a select number of people were admitted.

It's also really expensive. But luckily for me, my scholarship helped cover all the expenses.

The car pulled to a stop in the large and empty-ish parking lot where a handful of cars parked. I unbuckled my seatbelt and tugged at the door handle, but a hand on my arm stopped me from getting out.

"Luna..." Mom's eyes stared into mine with guilt.

"I know you hate that we had to move here and that the divorce and everything was so sudden, but this...this is a good change. Change might be uncomfortable at first, but it's not anything we can't get used to. Let's try to live happily here, okay?"

Mom spoke with a small smile on her face but that couldn't hide the sadness in her eyes. I placed my other hand over hers that held me and gave her a tight smile.

"I'll try," I said and opened the door, exiting the car and shifting out of her hold.

I love my mom, and I completely understand the whole situation, so I'm not mad at her. It's not her fault in any way.

But coming here wasn't my choice. It disrupted my plans and my life. It's going to take a while for me to get used to living here.

Mom grew up here and also went to college here. It's the reason we moved to this city in particular. It'll be nice for her to see her childhood friend again. Mom's told me stories about her and she seemed to really miss her.