Chapter 5 Percy's POV

I don't own any of the characters. All rights go to Rick Riordan and J. K. Rowling. Except for the plot. That is mine.

I started heading for the school after I had asked Grubbly-Plank where to go. She said to see Professor McGonagall who would be asking for first years. I went to tell Harry and his friends goodbye and was off to the school. On the way my brain thought of a song:

I'm off to see the wizards,
The wonderful wizards of Hogs.
I hear they are the wiz of a wiz,
Whatever a wizard was.

And before I knew it I had arrived at the doors of the school. There on the steps outside the castle, was a women with gray hair, and dark green robes. She wore spectacles and was studying me as I approached.

Knowing confidence is key here, I said, "Professor McGonagall correct?" She nodded. "I'm Percy Jackson. I was told to-"

"Percy Jackson, yes, yes come with me. Dumbledore is expecting you."

She lead me through a maze of corridors and finally came to a stop in the Great Hall. It sure was great all right. The size was enormous and the floating candlesticks? Amazing. Annabeth would love this place, I thought. McGonagall introduced me to an old man with a long silver beard and a twinkle of mischief in his eyes. He directed me to my seat at the Head Table and soon all the students had entered the Hall. The look upon Malfoy's face was priceless when he saw I was telling the truth on the train. I smiled at him and watched the rest file in. Soon, everyone was sorted and Dumbledore began announcements. He first introduced Umbridge and mentioned the loss of Hagrid for the moment. Then he came to me.

"And finally we come to the last announcement before food, but still important so please listen." He looked at the Hall with his half-moon glasses then continued, "As you can see there are more staff members than normal. That's because we are creating a new class called Defenseless Against the Dark Arts. Your instructor, Professor Jackson, shall explain in full during the scheduled class period. I thought it would be interesting to have a teacher who had only recently graduated and scored remarkably on his DADA NEWT. And from America for that matter. A different kind of teaching. Now, let the feast begin!"

Food magically popped out of nowhere onto the plates. McGonagall took the time during the meal to explain where, when and how I would do each class. She said she'd show me the location after dinner. I happily agreed, excited to start. It seemed I would have fun here this year.

Like promised, Professor McGonagall gave me a brief tour of the school and a few warnings about Peeves. Then she showed me the classroom.

It was set in moody lighting, causing the atmosphere to seem haunted. The room itself was quite large, about the size of the arena at Camp Half-Blood. It was also stocked with books and weapons. Minerva eyes them with distaste.

"For the record I'm still against using real weaponry in the school. But as long as you know what you're doing..."

I smiled. "I know what I'm doing Professor. After all this is what I specialize in."

She smiled and at last showed me my bedroom. The moment she left I collapsed, glad for the automatic wake-up call alarm that all teachers had.