4. Lone Wolf

4. Lone Wolf

"Anything can happen. Tomorrow-"

Matt turned to face his lifelong friend and found only emptiness.

Gabumon was gone.

His frame tingled with the shock of someone who had just discovered a grievous wound on their person, newly inflicted, but which hasn't yet begun to hurt. This isn't real. It can't be. He stood paralyzed, the breath that was meant to finish his sentence caught firmly in his throat.

Gabumon was gone.

Not this, he pleaded. Anything but this. With Herculean effort, he finally tore himself from his position and shifted forward, the hitched breath escaping all at once. He felt cold, as if his veins were filled with ice.

Gabumon was gone!

He became aware of a curious sensation in his hand and looked down just in time to see the last vestiges of his digivice petrify into stone. That was when his body began to shake. Stay strong. Keep it together. Keep it together. Don't lose control. He grabbed his hand to keep it steady, but the attempt quickly failed. His vision blurred, and tears began spilling onto the face of his digivice. Don't lose control.

Gabumon was GONE!!

His barriers were suddenly overwhelmed by a colossal tide of emotion, and Matt Ishida finally broke down. The wound hurt. The tears flowed freely. His breath came in ragged, hysterical gasps as he sat doubled over on the ground, howling out his grief. His stomach hurt; he felt as if he might vomit.

He cried harder than when his parents divorced.

He cried as if he was being torn in half.

He cried as if his frozen and barren world would never see the sun again, for Gabumon...

his dearest friend...

was gone.

A/N: This is basically the companion piece to Chapter 1 from Matt's perspective. Nothing really of note here, except that these will probably be the shortest chapters in the story. Next time on Digimon Adventure: Continuing Evolution-Chapter 5. Recovery.