Chapter 45 - Friendly Matches

"To prepare for the Riga Cup, we'll be playing a few friendly matches against some third division teams," Coach Johansen announced. He let his gaze roam across the academy players seated in a semicircle around him. Zachary and his teammates had just finished their training at the academy grounds that Friday evening.

"Our goal is to compete in four matches before the harsh winter sets in," the coach continued. "I expect you to put more effort into your preparations over the next few months. Our goal is to win every single game, starting with Byåsen Toppfotball next Friday. Be ready..."

**** ****

At the start of October, Zachary and his academy teammates faced the Byåsen Toppfotball Club in a closely contested game at the NF grounds. The club played in the 3rd Division of the Norwegian Football League. They had several experienced players, especially in their defense, who caused the academy team a lot of trouble.

The game remained at a stalemate until the 88th minute. With a spark of individual brilliance, Zachary released Årjan Bjørmark with a teasing through-pass, from close to the center-circle, during a counter-attack.

The NF academy's lone striker dashed past the defenders and latched on to the inch-perfect pass behind the defenders. He proceeded to fire the ball past Byåsen's hapless goalkeeper, sealing a sweet 1:0 victory for the academy.

However, Zachary wasn't in the best of moods even after the win. He felt empty after failing to score against the third division team. That was the first time he had been unable to add his name to the score sheet in a game since his arrival in Norway.

Zachary's mind could no longer find satisfaction in simply playing the game. He felt a burning urge to score goals. So, he worked harder, aiming to better his performance in the next friendly match.

The outdoor and gym workouts got him the fresh air he needed to put the match behind him. He could feel his lungs expand, his heartbeat stronger with each session. In those moments of pushing past his limits, he sharpened his focus and readied himself for the next match.

A month later, the NF academy faced-off against the NTNUI university sports club. Zachary worked hard for all 90 minutes, playing like he was in the Euro Champions League.

Right after kickoff, he conquered the midfield. He tackled opposing midfielders, intercepted passes in the center of the pitch, and above all, let-loose several passes into the wings that caught the NTNUI's defenders several times off-guard.

In the 23rd minute, Zachary unleashed a defense-splitting pass towards the right-wing, catching the opposing defenders and midfielders—off-guard. The NTNUI players couldn't react to the threat in-time since they'd been attacking the NF academy's box during a corner kick.

Kasongo collected the pass in the right-wing and took off like the wind towards NTNUI's 18-yard box. No players stood between him and the goal except the goalkeeper. His pace was swift. He'd gotten faster after following a training plan designed specifically for him by Coach Johansen.

Zachary watched Kasongo expertly loop the ball over the outstretched hands of the goalkeeper. 1:0 in favor of the academy. He was glad to see his friend score for the first time since arriving in Trondheim. He hoped the goal would bolster Kasongo's confidence and encourage him to work harder.

That strike opened the floodgates. Zachary and his teammates played with newfound vigor, dictating play against the university team. Whenever they lost possession, they used high-pressing tactics to win the ball back quickly.

The academy players defended high up the field, pushed play wide, and prevented any NTNUI possession in the midfield. Zachary forced several turnovers and would quickly move towards the opposition's box whenever he won the ball. His first touches were perfect, and his passes like snipper bullets, always finding their targets. His transitions were swift and fierce; he played the link between defense and striking with perfection.